The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 10:08 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default I miss my flyrods

Between moving and breaking my leg I haven't touched a flyrod in almost 3 months . You never fully understand how much this obsession means to you until your forced to do without it. In the mean time I've been forced to park illegally (luckily the officer took pity on me after seeing the cast), use a baitcater, and sit on a wall and wait for the fish. To complicate matters I had to avoid large, mating Cownose Rays since there was no way I was going to be able to handle fish that large lol.

Click the image to open in full size.

Try as I might to avoid them I managed to hook this Cownose, now what?? lol.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:35 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I miss my flyrods

Avoid those rays! We have sting rays here in Fl. that will gobble a bone fish fly. But remember poor Steve Irwin. I feel your pain though. Last year I broke my left hand falling on a skiff's front deck and inadvertently karate chopped a trolling motor shaft. It was three months with pins in my hand and no getting near the water or fish guts for fear of infection. I couldn't even bait fish. And since I'm a left handed shooter, no skeet or even range time either as I couldn't work the slide on a pistol or hold a rifle properly. It just flat out sucked. I hope you get well soon. At least it seems (judging by the cast) that you have some little helpers that should make things easier.

PS On a legal note as to parking. At least here in FL, your doc can write you a scrip for a temporary handicapped tag (a mirror hanger). You might as well get one as you are entitled as long as your leg is in plaster.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:45 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
Avoid those rays! We have sting rays here in Fl. that will gobble a bone fish fly. But remember poor Steve Irwin. I feel your pain though. Last year I broke my left hand falling on a skiff's front deck and inadvertently karate chopped a trolling motor shaft. It was three months with pins in my hand and no getting near the water or fish guts for fear of infection. I couldn't even bait fish. And since I'm a left handed shooter, no skeet or even range time either as I couldn't work the slide on a pistol or hold a rifle properly. It just flat out sucked. I hope you get well soon. At least it seems (judging by the cast) that you have some little helpers that should make things easier.

PS On a legal note as to parking. At least here in FL, your doc can write you a scrip for a temporary handicapped tag (a mirror hanger). You might as well get one as you are entitled as long as your leg is in plaster.
My little helpers help when they can but I never realized how little time I spend standing still in one place until I was forced to. I think I enjoy the hiking/walking as much as the fishing. I have a tempory handicap pass but no one is aloud on the beach except parks police, oops . I should be off the crutches by the end of August and hopefully wading by Sept. my orthopedic is also a fishing buddy of mine so he knows exactly the news I'm waiting for...
Old 08-03-2013, 11:23 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Boy do I know that feeling! Hopefully it comes off sooner than later! If you need to throw some flys and you head up this way to see your sister or whatever give me a call. There are several spots on my lake where you can sit on benches and use the fly rod for Bluegills and Bass. Open invitation as always!
swirlchaser likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-03-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Boy do I know that feeling! Hopefully it comes off sooner than later! If you need to throw some flys and you head up this way to see your sister or whatever give me a call. There are several spots on my lake where you can sit on benches and use the fly rod for Bluegills and Bass. Open invitation as always!
Thanks John, I certainly appreciate it. I keep thinking about those Smallies up there, next year I will have put in double the time just to make up for this year
Old 08-03-2013, 11:57 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Keep thinking that way ! The Smallies have been on a tear this year! No monsters but some nights nonstop action! I'm going to have a tough decision as fall rolls around whether to leave the Smallies and hit the beach ! Probably split it up and do both! Glad your at least getting out there !
Old 08-03-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Keep thinking that way ! The Smallies have been on a tear this year! No monsters but some nights nonstop action! I'm going to have a tough decision as fall rolls around whether to leave the Smallies and hit the beach ! Probably split it up and do both! Glad your at least getting out there !
How far into the fall can you catch them up there?
Old 08-03-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
How far into the fall can you catch them up there?
Weather dependent sometimes into November. If it stays warm late in the season and there are not to many high water situations the action stays good! That one spot I told you about if the water level is right they put the feedbag on late season and they hit topwater stuff as well as streamers and nymphs. With the river it's really a day to day thing sometimes and what they do upstate NY in the reservoir can either make it better or worse!

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

And the late season fish tend to be the biggest!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:21 PM

I may have to split my time as well. I just made a health investment in a Penn Torque for the Fall run but I need get a flyrod in my hands real soon. I foresee a few sick days this fall...
theboz likes this.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:31 PM

Excellent stick! If your free 10/5 we rented a boat out of Montauk to toss some flys at Alberts and Stripers we can always use another caster .