The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 04:16 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Rotary vice. Help?

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right forum, if not, moderators please move it to the proper spot. (just tell me where you moved it as I'm new here).

I've just gotten back into tying and I sprung for a Griffin Montana Mongoose rotary vice, as I wasn't going to live with the one that came with the kit. I got a good deal on it on Ebay ($130 NIB) and I figure it will last me.
Thing is, while I've seen a demo of rotary tying and appreciate its virtues on the streamers that will be 90% of what I tie, I'm a bit unsure of the mechanics. Can anyone suggest some good videos or books, or just give some advice?
Thanks
Old 08-04-2013, 07:55 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rotary vice. Help?

We have a dedicated tying section on the forum, this is a great place to place questions about tying but I'm sure this is fine.

Fly Tyer's Round Table - The North American Fly Fishing Forum

We also have a search feature here which should put you on some reading.

If you're want some sort of visual instruction, go to Youtube and search Rotary fly tying tips. There are a bunch of videos on this topic that you may find helpful.

I own a rotary but learned on a non rotary vise, so old habits die hard with me when it comes to using the rotary feature. For that matter, I'm still learning on it I suppose. When I do hackles, either soft or for a dry, I still prefer to do those by hand. Where I really use my rotary is when I need to do tight wraps on the bodies of flies like buggers, wire bodied flies or biots just as a few examples. I may be missing a few other flies where the rotary feature comes into play but from the top of my head that's a good start.