The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 12:14 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default That big beautiful brown truck arrived today!

My Helios is repaired and shipped to me today! LOL Praise the Lord!!

Rod broke July 1
Shipped to Orvis VT on July 2
Arrived at Orvis on July 11 (regular FedEx shipping, and July 4 holiday?)
Rod repaired on July 30?
Recieved rod today, Aug 5

That's 35 days gone, and probably 19 days at Orvis repair?

Not too bad IMHO!

I've had that rod for two years now, and I must have caught over 10,000 fish! (including a 10 lb carp who took me into the backing two times)

The rod was broke with operator error (that's all I can say about it). That rod isn't defective in any way!

I still love that rod. I'm so glad they didn't send me a Helios 2! I really like the olive green translucent better than the new brown.

I'm a positive thinker, so what I have learned this past month without that rod:

- a 7' rod is too short to cast from a float tube!
- a Cabelas PT, or any rod, is really a piece of poop compared to a Helios!
- I proved to myself that a fly rod is much more productive in a lake than a spin rod.

The bluegills and white perch are going crazy every night chasing small minnows right on the surface in my local lake! I'll be there, with Helios in hand, tonight!

Tight Lines,

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney and baseman1 like this.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:21 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: That big beautiful brown truck arrived today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
- a 7' rod is too short to cast from a float tube!
This I would not agree with. I don't think any rod is too short when you are in a float tube. In fact, shorter the better in that circumstance.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:29 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
This I would not agree with.
Nick,

I know? I used to own a Superfine? If I could have changed to a 2 wt Superfine ...... I would have in a heartbeat!

Just checkin' to see if you still looked at this site?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on getting your Helios fly rod back from repair!

Larry

Old 08-05-2013, 12:49 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Haha, still here. This is what gets my through the work day.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:09 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Gotta love the Brown Santa when he comes!

Craig
Old 08-05-2013, 09:45 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

That's a nice stick. Take care not to do what you did, that caused a trip to the rod hospital.
Having a favorite in for repairs always proves Einstein's theory of relativity. The more you want it back, the longer it seems to take. My neighbor Bucky Einstein told me that. He said it was on the internet, so it must be true
Old 08-05-2013, 10:39 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

crappt government computers.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
That's a nice stick. Take care not to do what you did, that caused a trip to the rod hospital.
siege,

I agree, I think the Helios is the best fly rod available today! I sure will be careful.
I gave it a good workout this afternoon:
Click the image to open in full size.

I hear some talk about the Helios being too thin and light, bull-ducky!! I broke the rod with a stupid mistake I made. A "no questions asked" repair policy is a good thing (I can't say anything else)

A little north of you is a friend of mine ..... Sasha. A avid fly fisherman, to say the least!! LOL I think he used to post here, before he got kicked off?

Last edited by rickf; 08-05-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:56 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Glad your baby is back. But I will say to other's contemplating a guarantee on a high end rod, you can't beat Loomis. I've used their service twice. If you break the rod for any reason call them and give them a deposit for the price of a new one. They'll fed ex a replacement (the next day if you call by noon). You put the carcass in the tube and send it back with the fed ex guy. They only charge $45 to cover shipping. Its hard to beat.