The ol' dogs daze of summer

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
Fished a couple or three hours this morning. Panfish..and a couple rock bass. Not ONE small-mouth. Don't know if that's ever happened to me in this stream..but oh well.
The 3wt was a hoot as usual. Still a bit much for 'gills though. Should'a took the 2wt.

nick k

Reaction score
Fished a couple or three hours this morning. Panfish..and a couple rock bass. Not ONE small-mouth. Don't know if that's ever happened to me in this stream..but oh well.
The 3wt was a hoot as usual. Still a bit much for 'gills though. Should'a took the 2wt.
2wt all the way. Although I've even thought of dropping it down to a 0wt for bluegill. Seems like every rod is eventually too heavy once you get used to it.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
'Bout the truth, Nick. I AM seriously considering a 1wt for gill fishing. Then see from there. Who knows,,,maybe an O weight will find it's way into the lineup before long. The hot of summer here,,that would cover more than one of my streams, when it's the gills and rock bass that are about all that's hittin' in these streams.

Just for squirts and laughs I tossed some longer cast today,,,55-60ft easy. And that's more than you 'need' to stream fish.

nick k

Reaction score
Yeah. People like to think that light weight rods can't cast far. In reality, every rod can cast the same distance with matching lines and fly sizes. Some rods are just built to have optimized performance at certain distances.

I can dump my whole fly line with my 2wt when I double haul. May not be too pretty at the end, but hey, its out there.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
Yea,,and I'm not even using a WF line,,but a DT taper Trout. If the desire hits me, I'll tie on a #10 streamer or weighted nymph and toss the stuffin's out of it. It works.