The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 03:17 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default A River Runs Through It.....Still

I'm wondering how many of you out there have had a River Runs Through It experience while fishing. In my opinion, this movie has generated more money for the fly fishing world than any other piece of fishing media out there.

One of my friends, who worked for Orvis and volunteered as a casting instructor, and knew many of the Orvis instructors in the area, has said that the guys always tell him that half the people in every class mention they wanted to learn because they saw A River Runs Through It.

In my own personal experience, I am OFTEN confronted with lines from strangers including references to the movie. Normally, when I tell people I'm fly fishing, they say "oh, like A River Runs Through It." In my most funny and latest experience, I was fishing at a local pond. Fly fishing is not at all common around here so some parents and children came over to watch. One of the fathers asked me "What do you call this type of fishing?" to which I replied "Fly fishing." He didn't look any less confused, so I followed it up with "Like A River Runs Through It...you know?" Still, just as confused as before. I explain to him that its a popular movie featuring fly fishing and people always bring it up to me. A few seconds after I stop talking, one of the mothers asks the same question "What type of fishing is this?" to which I again reply "Fly fishing." This time, the women quickly blurts out "Oh, like that Robert Redford movie!" I look at the father, we both laugh.

Anyone else get routinely reminded that this movie is the reason why people with otherwise no fishing knowledge know that this sport exists?
fredaevans likes this.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:12 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A River Runs Through It.....Still

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
In my opinion, this movie has generated more money for the fly fishing world than any other piece of fishing media out there.
That's for sure
Did you know that before "the movie" that there wasn't a single graphite rod on the market over $499 ?
That was a line in the sand that the rod companies didn't want to cross. No one wanted to be the first over the $500 mark.
After "the movie" came out there was such an influx of newbies that they didn't care any longer. They could charge what ever they wanted and get away with it.
fredaevans, stenacron and theboz like this.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:36 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Passing through Ennis, MT a few weeks back, we stopped for a locally made ice cream cone. Chocolate, my buddy said when asked what flavor he wanted. Well, I have, "chocolate runs through it", the young woman allowed.
Noiso, yonder and nick k like this.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:36 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
That's for sure
Did you know that before "the movie" that there wasn't a single graphite rod on the market over $499 ?
That was a line in the sand that the rod companies didn't want to cross. No one wanted to be the first over the $500 mark.
After "the movie" came out there was such an influx of newbies that they didn't care any longer. They could charge what ever they wanted and get away with it.
That is so true the movie boosted the fly fishing community immensely ! The only movie that compares to the madness it created is "Jaws" ! Take the word of a kid that mated in Montauk everyone was booked solid for the next couple of years and when a shark was hung up at Gosmans the crowds were of epic proportions!
Pretty much like all the stinking mob scenes the Internet has created at so many great fishing spots!!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-05-2013, 05:31 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

How many of you actually read TRRTI before the movie came out?

I read it many years before the movie when I was sent the book by my sister-in-law. It was on her daughter's reading list for incoming freshmen, and she knew I was just beginning to fly fish. So she sent the book on to me.

I can't recall a time when I was asked about TRRRI when fly fishing.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-05-2013, 06:38 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Interesting back story on the film...

Reflecting on the film

PT/TB
yonder likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 08-05-2013, 07:37 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post

I read it many years before the movie when I was sent the book by my sister-in-law. It was on her daughter's reading list for incoming freshmen, and she knew I was just beginning to fly fish. So she sent the book on to me.

Saw the movie when it came out, won't mention how old I was... Have now read the book many more times than I've seen the movie. Short enough to read in one sitting if desired, and well worth multiple readings. The visual nature of the movie helps make the focus on fishing, the book itself focuses on his reflection on his family and the grief of his memories. Every time I'm amazed at his ability to retell the story honestly and beautifully, using fly fishing to weave the story together.

Have never had someone ask about it while fishing either.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:56 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I can honestly say I had never heard of or watched the movie the first time I picked up a fly rod. My grand father and great grand father were both fly guys and one day I said I need to keep this tradition going. I have still not watched the movie in full.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 08-05-2013, 07:59 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post

I did and loved the book; the movie was a disaster imho.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:10 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I've seen bits and pieces. Never all the way thur though.