The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By troutwaters
  • 1 Post By mridenour
  • 4 Post By kglissmeyer1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 09:37 PM

troutwaters is on a distinguished road
Default pond fishing!!

went out pond fishing today with a few friends...it was Great! took out my Shadow Stalker 9' 5wt and did surprisingly good on a mouse pattern!
Any one else have access to any ponds they are allowed to fish when the weather heats up?

Click the image to open in full size.
mridenour likes this.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pond fishing!!

Very nice, congrats! The only time I get to fish ponds is when I visit my grandson, he is a fishing nut and loves to fish smallmouth bass and I love fishing when it is warm as the top water action can be phenomenal, nothing quite like a bass coming up and smashing a popper off the surface!

Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 PM

i agree! i usually use poppers!!! but they hit they were slamming that mouse..it was awesome ha
Old 08-06-2013, 07:17 AM

nc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the rough

Nice one. I only fly fish in warm water and love it.
Mike
Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I have what I call the Secret Lake. There are lots of seven pound bass in the 12-acre lake. It is less than a mile from my house and I fish it many times each summer. Slap a bugger on and catch lots of fat bass and nine-inch bluegills. When I can't get to the trout water it is a great substitute!Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:18 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

This is my favorite time of year for fishing some local ponds, surprisingly for trout. The water is dotted with various mats of lily pads along with numerous islands of bulrushes and cattails. It looks like a classic bass pond, but trout are there in abundance. Early mornings and later in the day just before the sun sets the callibaetis are on the water both as duns as well as spinners and the "gulper" action is off-the-hook. During the hours in between the gulper action there is steady action with leech and other stillwater patterns that take fish consistently.

Here are a few pics:

Okay, now I'm drooling and looking for an excuse to leave work early...

Kelly.
mcnerney, kayo, dakotakid and 1 others like this.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly: That is one beautiful pond, you have us all drooling!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:14 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Kelly: That is one beautiful pond, you have us all drooling!
Larry, I was just there last Wednesday with my youngest son and we had a blast! Unfortunately I have misplaced my camera and cannot show pictures of the outing. The callibaetis spinners were everywhere on the water surface and the trout were giving us numerous head-dorsal-tail rises as they sipped the hapless bugs from the surface.

I can't wait to get back. My family and I are spending all of next week in the Island Park area for a reunion so there will be non-stop fishing for 8 days WooHoo!

Kelly.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:40 PM

wow those are some beautiful bows!! never done any pond/lake fishing for trout...looks like a blast tho!