The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 07:57 AM

nc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the rough
Default New Rod!

I received my new Redington 906-4 CT rod last Friday and got to try it yesterday afternoon on a local pond. I paired it with an Okuma Sierra 5/6, loaded with SA WF6, from another rod. To sum it all up, WOW! This rod is a dream to cast. I threw #10 dry/dropper and a #2 gurgler with no problems. In the wind, I had to push a little, but it worked just fine.
When I started fly fishing again this year, after a 12yr. hiatus, I swore I would not start tying again. I lied! Wally World yellow craft foam, #10 gold Mustad hooks, silicon skirting, and some silk thread from my wife's sewing box, produced a half dozen rubber leg spiders. I have totally fallen off the wagon.
Here are a couple of pics.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks for looking,
Mike
mcnerney, FlyBum, jaybo41 and 5 others like this.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:11 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New Rod!

Well, they say relapse is one of the stages to recovery. I'm right there with you. I never quit fishing, but did mothball the vise. Now I'll be hitting Wally world for foam. I love Reddignton Rods. They're great bang for the buck (same with their reels). Glad you got to get into some fish.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the new outfit ane getting out into some nice fish!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:03 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Very cool... Saw that he CTs were on sale again this week on The Clymb, FYI
Old 08-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

As many here no I'm an Allen Fly Fishing Fan Boy, but with one exception I really like Redington CT's. I find them an excellent rod for both nymphing and dries when fishing for trout. Though for nymphing I've switched to 10' Allen Icons.

Congrats on your new outfit and the return to the addiction. Catching on flies you have tied yourself is so satisfying.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:35 PM

nc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the rough

Thanks everyone. It's been raining all day and the same is forecast for the next 4 days, but maybe I can get in some time anyway. I am really stoked on the CT.
The fly tying was interesting after all these years, to say the least. My old fingers and eyes doth protest too much. Got some hooks and thread on the way, so I will try some more soon.
Mike
Old 08-06-2013, 04:47 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I have two CT's......and they are my favorites.........as I am an older greybeard flyfisherman, who can appreciate a more flexible fly rod.......by the way.......go to hobby lobby for a brick of varied colored foam sheets for around 5 bucks.....it's not the good "closed cell foam", like you will find at orvis......but good enough........" True.......this is the wettest spring and summer that I can remember.....tough on the tomatoes and such.......but good on our mountain trout after three years of drought.......

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 08-06-2013, 05:06 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_cooter View Post
Thanks everyone. It's been raining all day and the same is forecast for the next 4 days, but maybe I can get in some time anyway. I am really stoked on the CT.
The fly tying was interesting after all these years, to say the least. My old fingers and eyes doth protest too much. Got some hooks and thread on the way, so I will try some more soon.
Mike
Ebay is your friend. I was amazed at what you can find there. I bought a grab bag from an estate sale. It was a bit sad as some guys gear was getting auctioned off to strangers, but even though half of it is stuff I can't use as its oriented towards Michigan Steel head, I got a ton of stuff I wanted like Chenile, flashabou, a dozen or more spools of Danville thread, peacock herl, dubbing, tools(including a Paki vice that's free to anyone who wants it) and buck tail for less then sixty bucks. There are similar deals on hackle and marabou and more specific items. I'd look there if you know what you want.

PS if any one lives in the great lakes region and wants stuff in the orange and purple spectrum, including egg sack mesh, flash pink dubbing etc, contact me and I'll make you a heck of a deal (as in free plus shipping).
Old 08-07-2013, 03:25 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

What is a Paki vise? Mebbe I am stupid!

How much do you think shipping would be? I have a guy in my office who is about ready to jump full into fly fishing and I know I could get him ti start tying. This vise would make him want ti start.

I have a nice Griffith already but I may use this one, too...who knows?

In any event, I think I am interested.

Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-07-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
What is a Paki vise? Mebbe I am stupid!

How much do you think shipping would be? I have a guy in my office who is about ready to jump full into fly fishing and I know I could get him ti start tying. This vise would make him want ti start.

I have a nice Griffith already but I may use this one, too...who knows?

In any event, I think I am interested.

Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
I have no idea what shipping would be. I'll just stuff into one of those prepaid USPS boxes. As to the vice its a Pakistani (or maybe Indian) called Sunrise. It doesn't have a clamp or pedestal and the shaft (metric) is bit smaller than our standard 3/8" vice. Still, if you crank down it will hold. Its not a bad vice. In honesty though, I'd go to Cabela's they are clearing out their "deluxe" flytying tool kit for $29 dollars. Its a really nice kit and worth the money, though you'll wind up replacing the vice (at least I did, I bought a Griffin Montana Mongoose). But the tools are great.
Still the offer of dubbing, vice, mesh egg sack material, dubbing materials, red and natural deer hair and turkey flats (cream and dun) stands. Free for nothing. You pay shipping. Its just paying it forward.
busbus likes this.