The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Connect

Hi MrEsox,
I use the same technique as Frank does 25lb. mono but with one change in the material. I find that if you use Orvis Hy-Flote™ Leader Butt Material that it keeps the end of your fly line higher on the water surface. Try it if you get a chance. Nail Knot to fly line then Perfection Loop the end of that about 2 to 3 inches away from the fly line.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c...subcat_id=6014

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 02-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Darknight, I use the Hi-Flote on my SYLK, with a nail knot also. The core keeps me from using a needle knot which is my favorite.
I had a Problem with my SYLK lines sinking at the tip and this solved it for sure.
The line in the picture is SYLK and on that one I just do a loop to loop with Hi-Flote Leaders
Old 02-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Joni,
I love the way you have shown us your connection loop. I notice some Fly Line companies are starting to create fly lines with such a loop connection. You should get a cut in on the action there.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 02-08-2008, 11:42 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I like the needle nail knot because it's small & goes thru the tiptop easily. I put a drop of Loon's " UV Knot Sense" around it to seal the tip & when I have to change leaders I'll either tie the other one on with a blood knot to about 6-7"'s of the old leader or put a loop in the 6-7" peice & loop to loop the new leader.

Woiks fer me
Old 02-08-2008, 11:54 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

I think I'm still got you guys a bit lost from what I am reading. I have the tool that is mentioned and that is what I use to make the nail knot. No troubles there. The thing was I found it way back when hard to add mono for a bit of leader material before placing the tippet part on. Later I found that adding some braid to the fly line then a bit of mono before the tippet to tie it easier. From when I started it was suggested to try braid to fly line. Think of it as a two part leader before the tippet. Again this is what I came up with and it has worked ok so far. Biggest problem I have had was not eating up the tippet trying to tie it up. With the fishing I do now, I’ve been trying a few things and have had mixed results. With the bigger streamers I got I have had an easy time casting. I should point out that since I don’t use a tippet anymore it is just fly line/braid/mono/fly. This isn’t the best for casting if there is much wind. I have had many times of getting wrapped up in it all on a cast, but who hasn’t. Like I said this works great with the bigger streamers and minnow imitators I use. This help out a bit more? I’m away from my fly rod right now, but by Monday I should be able to post some pics of what I got, a visual aid might help.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:10 AM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Added to last post:
I guess I didnt mention that I dont fish trout anymore since I got to travel a good distance to get to any streams or lakes. Right now its just bass, gills, perch, and crappies. I'm going to pick up a heavy rod for pike over this weekend. Lookn at a 9wt or 10wt depending on what I find. Another thing that comes to mind, is a tippet a must? The way I an looking at it, sine the fish I catch dont shy away from line I got the idea to just use a good mono and tie directly to the streamer.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

MrEsox,
I will admit it, you've got me befuddled. lol

Even if your not fishing for Trout, the majority of the time your going to need a tapered leader, just a little shorter and heavier for Bass bugs or Streamers.
The tapered leader will turn over much better, will make casting much more enjoyable and not so labor intensive.

I will wait for your pics and see what it is your explaining. Hang in there, we will get it figured out yet!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

If you use a floating line as mentioned you need a taper leader to present the fly correctly.
BUT, myself, if I am fishing a nymph and the whole leader is under water, I don't think presentation matters.
If I am deep nymphing I use straight Flouro. On Sinking line I use straight flouro.
In fact the only time I use a tapered leader or a furled is if I am fishing any kind of top water fly.

As far as TIPPET, on a straight mono or flouro, I don't think it matters, but on a tapered leader, it will make it last longer. You attach the tippet to the leader, when you get to the connection , tie on a new tippet.

This is how "I" fish. Everyone has their own way.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi MrEsox,

I think I understand what your are doing. What I don't understand is why. You say you are using braid so I have to assume you are using a braided line used for Bass fishing. I wonder what weight braid you are using? I can't think of a worse connection to the fly line. It will be very flexible and have a terrible hinge effect. Now if the braid you are talking about is really a furled leader then that is a different story. You are fishing streamers for Bass and Pan Fish and you can get by with a level piece of mono.

Fly fishing is about ingenuity and common sense. It seems you are trying something unusual and the results are mixed. I think you would get better results using a proved method with solid results. If it was me I would go back to a level mono leader or a tapered mono leader and forget the braided line. No matter what we say you can use anything that works for you.

Frank