The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 08:31 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Connect

What you guys like to connect your fly line all the way through to the fly? I have had good luck connecting a braid to the fly line then a short amount of a high quality mono to the braid leaving mono to tippet. This plus the tippet gives me just over 9' from fly to fly line. Any other ideas or methods out there?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Connect

MrEsox,
I apologize, but I am having trouble understanding what your asking here. Can you give a little more information please?

Are you saying that you use level mono from the braided material to the tippet? and that this section runs 9' ???

You mentioned attatching a braid to the flyline, doesn't the braid collapse your loop during the cast?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-07-2008, 10:06 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Re: Connect

I'll try and put it in other words. I start with the fly line, I tie a small amount of braided line to it. From the braid I attached a bit of mono that is a bit heavier then the tippet is. I have found that if I am using a lighter tippet the mono helps to secure the tippet over attaching it to the braid.
So it goes fly line, braind, mono, tippit.

I used braid since I found it easier to attach it to the fly line over mono. Since I am not a master of the nail knot I found myself going through almost all of a tippet to attach it. Not something I recomend. Like I have stated before I'm not no fly expert and am looking for anything that will help.
However, when I do try for bass I find it easier to use no tippet and just attack 10lb mono to the braid.

I guess in all I'm looking for is advice on fly line all the way to the fly.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so your mono after the braid is level?
what kind of fish are you after?
and how are you fishing for them? nymphing, dry, streamer, etc?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-07-2008, 11:31 PM

I think this would be easier if I had a picture lol. Ok so as of now, I have about a foot of braided line attached to 9' of 10lb mono. I use this set up for bass. Though I had no joy this last year with it, bad weather, job, water condition, etc no fish. Trout well are a long ways away for me. I got to travel 3 1/2 hours to get to a trout river so a typical trout set up I'm not useing. When I had tried for pike I went heavy braid to a bit lighter braid to a small wire leader. With the streamers I came up with, I had mixed results with my 5wt and hooking ability. This got sparked since I was looking through a few past articles and posts and thought maybe my set up with the braid mono tippet was a bit much and not needed.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEsox View Post
I think this would be easier if I had a picture lol. Ok so as of now, I have about a foot of braided line attached to 9' of 10lb mono. I use this set up for bass. Though I had no joy this last year with it, bad weather, job, water condition, etc no fish. Trout well are a long ways away for me. I got to travel 3 1/2 hours to get to a trout river so a typical trout set up I'm not useing. When I had tried for pike I went heavy braid to a bit lighter braid to a small wire leader. With the streamers I came up with, I had mixed results with my 5wt and hooking ability. This got sparked since I was looking through a few past articles and posts and thought maybe my set up with the braid mono tippet was a bit much and not needed.
What part of the Country do you fish mainly? I'm not familiar with this set-up.
9' of level mono sounds like it could be a bugger to cast.

How heavy is the braided material? I normally use an 18" piece of 24-30# mono with with a perfection loop for the butt section.

When your Bass fishing, how does this set-up cast?
Does the braided material cause your line and leader loop to hinge/collapse?

Old 02-08-2008, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

MrEsox,
Here is another bit of info from Lefty himself. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...1&d=1143063191 How To Choose Fly-Fishing Leaders and Tippets

Old 02-08-2008, 08:57 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Im confused about the braid off the flyline in place of the nail knot---could it be some confusion over the hollow braided loops that you buy and slide over the end of the flyline like the chinese finger traps to use in place of the nail knot? Regular braided line at the end of the flyline will be too limp to transfer any energy from the line to the leader giving you the "hinge" that Fyshstykr mentioned.

the leader generally (except in the case of shock tippets) is tapered from the flyline then gets thinner toward the fly.

A guy that i fish with for musky uses 50# spider wire next to the fly instead of wire and says that will work most of the time---i cant vouch for that myself---lol
Old 02-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am not grasping the braided thing either, specially the 6" of it. And the only time I use straight mono/flouro is when deep nymphing or when using a full sink line.
If you cannot do a nail knot or a needle knot, try making a loop in the line its self.

Click the image to open in full size.

From here I use a FURLED leader loop to loop with 3' to 5' of flouro tippet.
Or I use loop to loop with regular leader and double surgeon's knot to connect tippet.

Any fishing on top water needs some kind of a tapered leader, doesn't it?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi MrEsox,

If it was me I would not be using the small section of braid tied to the fly line. Heavy mono is a much better choice. It seems you are using something to compensate for your inability to tie the proper knots. First thing you need to do is buy a Tie Fast tool. You will be doing a nail type knot in no time at all. They cost $7.50 and is money well spent.

Then you need to use a standard tapered leader. Many people tie a short section of 25lb mono to the end of the fly line and tie a loop in the end of the mono. You can now loop on your leader. Another option is to buy a fly line with a loop in it or make a loop like Joni does.

Frank

Tie Fast Knot Tool
Click the image to open in full size.