The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 08:11 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Forcing more time

Thanks, siege.

The bed is nothing special--just a mass of 2-by lumber. I have to say that it did turn out well but it is because I took my time for a change and did it right.

Actually, I felt a bit selfish because I wanted to spend some "me" time and, well, I guess I am sort of cheap. We have an old steel bed frame but I would have needed to make some slats and buy a box spring. This started out as only making a headboard but I figured a box spring costs $100 and I could make the entire bed for about $60 and I wouldn't need a box spring. Of course, now that she has seen this, she wants a desk and a hutch. I told her to rein in her horses and see how everything fits into her apartment. She will be sharing a room with another girl and there is only so much space...

My son does have big dreams. They are different than mine. He wants to be a teacher and he has incredibly different ideas on how to teach than what he is being "taught" in college. He is getting a Special Education minor because he, himself, is sort of special ed material himself. He has more than a touch of Asperger's Syndrome and a little of several other things. He has grown to be able to more or less handle these challenges but they were rough when he was young.

I think since he went thru and is still living with many of these issues, he is disagreeing with the way the "experts" say you need to teach kids with these issues. He is adamant they are wrong and he says he can relate to these kids really well. And he does. Probably because he has many of the same issues as they do but on a lesser scale.

I hope he is more successful in his dreams than I was. I hope he does not compromise; that he doesn't go along to get along. I think he is probably correct, although I do not have any experience or knowledge of the issues.
jaybo41 and siege like this.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:25 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I have a daughter who is a teacher, and it is very rewarding to her. My 2 sons are married and are working full time, and going to college full time. In the end, it will all be worth the effort. They all live close, for now, so we can fish on Saturday, and have Sunday dinner together.
The weekend is what keeps us together, both mentally and physically !
Sounds like your son's challenges have made him both wiser and stronger. Good that he has you in his corner.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:17 PM

xnykid will become famous soon enoughxnykid will become famous soon enough

my two sons are teen agers and when I talk to them they often remind me of me and that scares the **** out of me so I go fishing
busbus likes this.