The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 02:21 PM

jbennett is on a distinguished road
Default Considering a boat.

Just getting into fishing but I already see a boat would be really nice to easing get where I need to go. I live in Memphis so most of my fishing will be in Arkansas on the little red river or maybe white and Norfork as well. Haven't been to those two yet. Been twice with guides on the little red and they use long flat bottomed boats that can deal with pretty shallow water I think they are made in Arkansas somewhere but I think they are pricey. Was considering just a canoe but I don't think I won't to spend that much time paddling. Especially upstream. I guess you can put a small motor on some. And storing it is simple. I guess the other option is a cheap used John boat and motor? Any thoughts. Canoe is appealing. Especially some of the sit on top varieties can be had cheap but I don't think a motor is doable and standing isn't easy. Any thought on a good way to get up and down the river for say $1000?
Old 08-08-2013, 03:18 PM

pjcalla is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Considering a boat.

Search CL for a used jon boat. I'm actually redoing a 1648 flat bottom jon for fishing rivers. I'm going to put aluminum framed casting decks on the front and rear, trolling motor on the bow and a small (15hp) outboard. Fall is the time to pick up a cheap boat and motor. Check out tinboats.net for ideas. Pretty incredible what they think up as far as mods go for little jon boats.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:18 PM

amertens is on a distinguished road

I strap a 30 pound thrust trolling motor onto the side of my canoe by the rear with some wood blocks to make the clamp work, throw in a battery and it motors me around at good speeds and trolling for a full weekend. Gets a little sluggish towards Sunday afternoon but it still gets the job done. Especially considering I have about 350 dollars invested in the whole setup.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:25 AM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

There isn't a perfect craft for those tailwaters, because they aren't always the same river. They can be so low that you can't float a canoe in the riffles, or so high that you need a big, powerful motor to make headway upstream, or anywhere in between, and both could happen in the same day. All in all, the most versatile craft if you have to go both upstream and downstream is a johnboat with a smallish jet outboard, something like a 1652 (that means 16 feet long and 52 inches wide at the widest part) aluminum johnboat with a 40 hp jet outboard, or if you want to go a little lighter, a 1648 with a 25 hp jet. They can run in as little as 5 inches of water both upstream and downstream, and would have enough power to get you upstream in heavy generating conditions.

However, they are pricey, and although I own one, I have an aversion to using it in the often crowded conditions on the tailwaters. They are rather disrupting to the peace and quiet that others may be seeking. I use mine mostly in the winter when I'm probably going to be the only angler on a given stretch of smallmouth river.

If you want cheaper and low impact, you're going to have to either get a canoe and trolling motor as suggested above, or a kayak--which you will be able to paddle upstream in lower water conditions without too much trouble.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:55 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

There are these by Native Water craft. I've never tried one but they look cool and should handle pretty skinny water.

Mariner 12.5 Propel Angler
Old 08-09-2013, 05:35 AM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I've got a Wilderness System Ride 115 sit on top yak, you can stand up in 'em, very stable, weighs 80#, can carry in the bed of a Ford Sport Trac. You can install a TM on it if desired, they also make a Ride 135. Also suggest you look at nucanoe, they have pretty slick one with raised seats, etc, good comments from some owners but no 1st hand experience with one. If I could sell the Ride or my Pungo, I would consider a Nucanoe.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:47 AM

What about the Gheenoe boats? They seem like a decent compromise between a johnboat and a canoe

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Fiberglass though. How durable is that? Anybody make a similar plastic boat?
Old 08-09-2013, 08:54 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbennett View Post
What about the Gheenoe boats? They seem like a decent compromise between a johnboat and a canoe

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Fiberglass though. How durable is that? Anybody make a similar plastic boat?
I own one and love it. I've got the 15'4" model. I mount a six horse on the back and a trolling motor up front and tow it on a little trailer. That thing will go like a bat out hell with the six, you could get away with a four easily. It poles easily, but paddles like a pig. Its stable enough to stand on a seat to fish or pole.
My only concern with it would be the construction. Its thin fiberglass. Now that's fine and dandy down here. But if you're using one with fast water and big rocks I might be a bit concerned. Still, you could always glass on some skid plates. For the Money (I think I paid $600 ten years ago, they're hard to beat. And if you want to cartop it you can, they only weigh 120 pounds. But I'm too damn old to throw that much boat on top of a 4wd with 17inch tires.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:29 AM

Yeah 120# is tough for one person to top load even if its just on top of my Outback. Then if u have a motor forget it.What's appealing over a johnboat is taking up less space in my back yard. My wife would be not too happy about a trailer permanently parked back there.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbennett View Post
Yeah 120# is tough for one person to top load even if its just on top of my Outback. Then if u have a motor forget it.What's appealing over a johnboat is taking up less space in my back yard. My wife would be not too happy about a trailer permanently parked back there.
Buy her a cat and lots of chocolate.
ted4887 likes this.