The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 03:25 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all
Default Can't compete with Costco: Sage Blowout Sale

I received an e-mail from Leland Fly Fishing Outfitter in Northern California with the title above and saying that they've been a long supporter and a dealer for Sage, and now they are cutting prices to clear their inventory since they can't compete with Sage big box dealer Costco.

What the heck?
Old 08-08-2013, 03:43 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't compete with Costco: Sage Blowout Sale

Costco did a backdoor sale with a retailer/distributor to get high end Sage rods. This was the second time. Many retailers are upset that this has happened again.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Costco did a backdoor sale with a retailer/distributor to get high end Sage rods. This was the second time. Many retailers are upset that this has happened again.
Wow, I can certainly understand why the retailers would be upset.

Larry
fredaevans likes this.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:02 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

Good for Leland. Specialty stores need special products. If you can buy something at Costco it's not special anymore. They're smart to realize what's happening and act on it quickly. Some specialty stores slowly bleed out because they stick with brands that no longer need them.
motorshooter likes this.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:29 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

I feel bad for smaller retailers such as Leland but do we have all the facts here. The fact that Costco is selling high end Sage rods doesn't bother me, I will still support my local fly shop. The real issue is ...at what price is Costco selling these rods? I can't see Costco slashing prices by much if any. If they do, I will buy at Costco if they have what I want. I think that rod manufacturers are making decent money and could do with a little less. It has always bothered me that a $700.00 + rod goes for a lot less 2 years down the road on closeout. I will usually wait, so I am 2 years behind everyone else and I don't need the latest and greatest which is mostly marketing BS! Sorry for the rant. I am finished, maybe.
thewalker1013 likes this.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:37 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

The email is not entirely truthful on Leland's end! There is way more to the story then most people know!

As for Costco carrying sage, it has happened a couple times and it isn't fair to shops but it is not sage going out of their way to screw local and independents. It's a shady middle man diverting shipments to Costco and Costco not following the MAP pricing because they aren't a dealer. The most recent occurrence of it happening was a couple weeks back and the CEO of Sage, cut the closest fly shop a blank check and had them buy up the entire stock of sage rods at the Costco that had them!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
I feel bad for smaller retailers such as Leland but do we have all the facts here. The fact that Costco is selling high end Sage rods doesn't bother me, I will still support my local fly shop. The real issue is ...at what price is Costco selling these rods? I can't see Costco slashing prices by much if any. If they do, I will buy at Costco if they have what I want. I think that rod manufacturers are making decent money and could do with a little less. It has always bothered me that a $700.00 + rod goes for a lot less 2 years down the road on closeout. I will usually wait, so I am 2 years behind everyone else and I don't need the latest and greatest which is mostly marketing BS! Sorry for the rant. I am finished, maybe.
I respectfully disagree. Costco's whole model is to sell at a discount. I can't envision a scenario where they would sell Sage full price.

If you would buy from Costco over you local shop because they sell them cheaper, you're not really supporting your local shop.

To cptxkirk- That does show initiative from Sage, but it's still their job to control where inventory ends up. They need to pull that distributor's account.
rccola712 likes this.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:45 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptxkirk View Post
The email is not entirely truthful on Leland's end! There is way more to the story then most people know!

As for Costco carrying sage, it has happened a couple times and it isn't fair to shops but it is not sage going out of their way to screw local and independents. It's a shady middle man diverting shipments to Costco and Costco not following the MAP pricing because they aren't a dealer. The most recent occurrence of it happening was a couple weeks back and the CEO of Sage, cut the closest fly shop a blank check and had them buy up the entire stock of sage rods at the Costco that had them!
Proper thing. Sage has to get a better control of their suppliers / middlemen and protect their retailers to whom they owe a lot to for their success over the many years Sage has been in business.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:46 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

I agree and they have, and every time it happens they pull that distributor as well! Coming from someone who's paycheck comes from those who support local fly shops I was livid when I heard the news about Costco! But they took the proper steps to take care of it.

Leland's is in the wrong here and they have been for a long time. I am glad to see them no longer carrying sage/rio!
Old 08-08-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
I respectfully disagree. Costco's whole model is to sell at a discount. I can't envision a scenario where they would sell Sage full price.

If you would buy from Costco over you local shop because they sell them cheaper, you're not really supporting your local shop.

To cptxkirk- That does show initiative from Sage, but it's still their job to control where inventory ends up. They need to pull that distributor's account.
Read my comment again, I said that I couldn't see them slashing Sage prices Discounting is a different story. Costco's business model is to sell in bulk and on impulse. I know because my wife is a member of the local Costco outlet and I see it happen weekly. On the topic of support for my Local fly shop, he has seen me drop in excess of $3K on his counter in the last 6 months. I don't think he begrudges me buying a Sage rod from Costco which isn't going to happen very often. Keep in mind competition works for the consumer as well.