The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 06:20 PM

ranger1 is on a distinguished road
Default Good Reel for a Sage Zxl 4 weight.

Hi,

well i got my Sage a few weeks a ago and i just got my Rio Gold 4 weight Floating fly line and now I'm wondering about a fly Reel, I was looking at the Wychwood River and Stream Fly reel 4/5 model is 58 grams So what do you think any other Recommendations my budget is about 200 dollars to 250. Looking for a Light and robust fly reel thanks!
Old 08-08-2013, 06:48 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Reel for a Sage Zxl 4 weight.

Congratulations on your purchase. Which model ZXL did you get? I think you'll find the Gold to be a wonderful match. At least though my experience with the ZXL line and casting abilities anyway. Can't help you with that reel, I have no experience with them but they do look interesting. Mine is paired with an old Hardy LRH, for my preferences a perfect match.
chi flyfisher and ranger1 like this.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:06 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

You can get an Abel TR-1 at the upper end of your range.

It's a click-pawl reel, but very nice and will work well with a 4 wt line.

Slightly lower down would be one of the Lamson reels. Disc drag and also very nice.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:15 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I am fishing an Abel Creek 2 Large Arbor (bottom right) on my 490-4 ZXL.

Click the image to open in full size.

For your price range, you may want to look at a Hardy CC3000 or DD3000 reels. Both are built off the same chassis, but the CC has a click check drag and the DD has a disk drag.

Click the image to open in full size.

Dennis
chi flyfisher, jaybo41 and yonder like this.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:36 PM

Does It work Well? What weight is the reel is self?

Last edited by ranger1; 08-08-2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-08-2013, 07:44 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Ranger1 - I use either a Ross Evolution LT 1.5 OR a Abel Clear Creek 1 on my ZXL 486-4. Both reels balance the rod very well. Another cool match is an older Orvis CFO III Click & Pawl Hardy made version.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. Which model ZXL did you get? I think you'll find the Gold to be a wonderful match. At least though my experience with the ZXL line and casting abilities anyway. Can't help you with that reel, I have no experience with them but they do look interesting. Mine is paired with an old Hardy LRH, for my preferences a perfect match.
Its a 490-4 model thanks....
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:12 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

The reels I use on my ZXL 490-4 vary greatly depending on my mood -

Abel Super 4N
Abel Big Game pt.5
Galvan Standard 3.0
Sage 505L
Sage 504L

You could find a Hardy made Sage in your range if you're looking for a classic click/pawl pairing if you wait and are patient. It will not be mint. You can absolutely find a Galvan Standard 3.0 on Ebay in your price range as well. All the reels I mention above, with the exception of the Super 4N I purchased used. I love them all on that rod - great purchase BTW. Your choice of line for nymphing and dry fly fishing will sing with that fly rod. If you want to dry fly specific fish, get the SA Textured Trout Stalker. It's what I have spooled on my Galvan 3.0 and it's an amazing match to that ZXL.

Cheers,
Mike.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:20 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1 View Post
Does It work Well? What weight is the reel is self?
The Abel Creek 2 Large Arbor reel weighs 4.2 ounces. The rod and reel balances just fine.

The Hardy Ultralight 3000 CC weighs 3.7 ounces.

The Hardy Ultralight 3000 DD weighs 4.8 ounces.

Dennis
Old 08-08-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
The Abel Creek 2 Large Arbor reel weighs 4.2 ounces. The rod and reel balances just fine.

The Hardy Ultralight 3000 CC weighs 3.7 ounces.

The Hardy Ultralight 3000 DD weighs 4.8 ounces.

Dennis

Do You know or anyone Know where i could get a Second hand Abel Creek Large arbor 2?
thanks.