The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 07:51 AM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold
Default Looking forward to Sunday! Taking people fishing for the first time!

Sunday afternoon after church I am taking a family fishing that has never fished before...ever! The boys are 8-10 years old and got fishing rods for Christmas a couple years ago and never got to use them. I'm going to take them down to the Secret Lake and let them have at those anxious bluegill for starters. They will be mostly using spincast stuff but I want to show them what fly fishing is and teach them about the different types of fishing. Mostly though, I want them to catch some fish and there is no better place to do it. Their dad has never cast a rod and he wants to learn so he can take his sons fishing. I think it is going to be a great day and I am pretty excited! Every time they see me at church they talk about fishing and want to see fish pictures on my phone. I think they are going to love fishing.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:01 AM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Looking forward to Sunday! Taking people fishing for the first time!

You're awesome !
The best way I know of to promote fishing is to take someone. Sounds like family building experience for them that will provide years of enjoyment.
As Fred Evans says " good on you " !
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:04 AM

cowger10 will become famous soon enoughcowger10 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Looking forward to Sunday! Taking people fishing for the first time!

Sounds like a great day to be had by all.
mridenour likes this.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:05 AM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold

It is great to take someone fishing for the first time and get them started out right. Sometimes when my son and I are fishing, I stop and watch him. He is an expert and I think back to the times he was a little bitty guy throwing all the line on his Snoopy rod and reel out in the lake and dragging in bluegill and goggle-eye. What a great feeling to have taught someone something they will cherish the rest of their life.
mcnerney and yonder like this.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mike: Sounds like a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon! Getting those kids into some fish should really provide for some fun for them and really get them interested in fishing, way to go!
mridenour likes this.

Larry
Old 08-09-2013, 01:12 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

Good for you. With kids that age first time out I'd cheat. Spring for worms or crickets if bluegill are the target (unless you think that would squick them out). Good luck and I wish you fish.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
Good for you. With kids that age first time out I'd cheat. Spring for worms or crickets if bluegill are the target (unless you think that would squick them out). Good luck and I wish you fish.
Oh yeah, we are going for some worms. They may even hook into a big bass or catfish. That'll really get their blood flowing! Lots of 5-6 pound bass in there and quite a few more up to 8 or so. The cats run up to around 10. Hoping they hook some good stuff.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!don't forget to take some pics...and post them here
mridenour likes this.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Good luck!don't forget to take some pics...and post them here
Will do. I want to record some of those first fish grins!
Old 08-13-2013, 09:18 AM

I promised to take pictures of this event! I failed. I was so busy with these kids. I was expecting two and got four plus their dad. We went out back and dug worms before we started. Two of the kids really enjoyed plucking the worms from the dirt and the others really didn't want to get dirty. But we got some worms in an old coffee can and hopped in the car and parked on the dam of the twelve acre lake. It wasn't long before they had the hang of casting the spinning gear and were going through a bag full of plastic baits I had brought along. They liked the real worms but casting the colorful plastics was too much to pass up. The bass were biting pretty good on a Sweet Potato Pie stick worm and the boys just loved casting and retrieving over and over again.

I coached them on different ways to rig and retrieve the bait and soon they were getting a few fish. Lots of them got off because they don't quite have the hook set down yet. One of the boys hooked a big bass in the 5+ pound class and he got it almost in when it shook its big head and the hook flew out. He relentlessly fished the rest of the afternoon trying to find that big boy again. The grin on his face when he saw the fish was priceless. He wasn't too disappointed that he didn't get it all the way in.

Showing the kids how to hold the bass after they reluctantly reached and took them from me was fun. They got used to handling the fish and were soon asking if they could kiss one! Boys always manage to mix silliness with everything they do.

The bass cooperated well and there were some tears shed when the kids' dad announced it was time to go home. He learned a lot about fishing and feels up to taking them on his own in the near future. I am going to help them with shopping for some appropriate gear to outfit the whole gang and get them rigged up and do another outing at the secret lake again.

They are all really excited about the day they had and I felt great that they had so much fun. I'm looking forward to seeing them progress in the world's greatest past time. Hopefully in the next couple weeks we will get some pics of everyone with their new gear and their first fish on their own rods!
littledavid123 likes this.