The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 10:38 AM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default Looking for a durable wader

I bought some mediocre waders last summer and they leak... Is there a company that is reasonable on price and lasts several years? I don't trust the reviews on the websites. I was looking at redingtons they seem reasonable and are a Simms company correct? 150$ is about all I want to spend.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:54 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a durable wader

Simms is Simms. Redington is Far Bank Enterprises--Sage, Rio, Redington and US distributor of C&F fly boxes.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:01 AM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

Redington is owned by Sage, not Simms. I don't think they're under the same umbrella, but then, there are lots of things that I think are true but aren't.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

There are some good deals on Patagonia waders at Sierra Trading Post... their Watermaster waders are only $101 if you've got the daily deal email... $170 with out the daily deal... limited sizes though.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:35 AM

utah kelly is on a distinguished road

I would rather spend more money up front for quality than to be buying the same piece of **** every couple years. That is why I buy Simms and only Simms. I've had the same pair of G3s for years now and they are as good as the day I bought them. Plus they come with a good warranty. Just my opinion but I would save up and get what you really want if it were me.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:37 AM

swimmy will become famous soon enough

My buddy wears Hodgeman's. Whenever they start to leak, he simply buys a new pair. I wanna say they are around $100? Depending on how much you wear 'em, I would imagine they'd at least last you a couple seasons.

I personally own Simms G3 but I get not everyone wants to spend that kind of money.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:57 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
My buddy wears Hodgeman's. Whenever they start to leak, he simply buys a new pair. I wanna say they are around $100? Depending on how much you wear 'em, I would imagine they'd at least last you a couple seasons.

I personally own Simms G3 but I get not everyone wants to spend that kind of money.
I use their stocking foot light weights (nylon not neoprene). They're only about sixty bucks. I bought them because they roll up fairly small and you can stuff them in a back pack or a dry bag if you're hiking or floating. I found that if you religiously use neoprene booties so you aren't stepping on gravel with the nylon they last fine (don't and you're screwed). I don't use them a whole lot as I prefer to wade wet (its just easier), but they have been put through the wringer not just fishing but duck hunting. I will admit that using them for that application I'm being a cheapskate as they have zero insulation (but neither do goretex models). There I'll wear a pair of those cheap wool army surplus winter weight pants you can get from Sierra Trading Post for about forty bucks. Any way, I've gone through two pairs in the last dozen years and they work fine. They won't win any beauty contests, but the light weight and packability gives them major points. Plus, you won't cry if you rip them on some barbed wire.

PS I use the Orvis el Cheapo canvas felt soled boots to go with them. These work fine as well. And like the waders they pack light and dry quicly. Two key points if you're back packing.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:42 PM

Im not made of money and definately cannot afford Simms at this point in my life... That being said has anyone had a good experience with any other companies? I found an allen co. orig 200$ for 129 (Allen Co. Madison Breathable Convertible Waders - Stockingfoot (For Men) - Save 35%)
Old 08-09-2013, 12:54 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

I've got a pair of Allen Co. breathable waders, the Blue River model, that I picked up about a year and a half ago off of Amazon for a laughable price on a Black Friday sale. I've been using them on a limited basis since then without any problems, probably a total of 20-25 days on the water with no issues. If I was going to be on the water 4-5 days a week I'd shell out for something a bit more rugged. but for occasional use, and being careful not to abuse them, they've been fine.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:04 PM

the most I will be out is 2 days a week until winter then start up in spring again
Old 08-09-2013, 06:52 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to say that you can't find waders in the $150 range that will hold up and be durable. Some certainly more so than others, but my opinion is that in that price range they're largely going to all be pretty close in terms of build/quality, etc. 2 days per week isn't overly demanding on waders.

Here are a couple things that I suggest that might help you decide.

Get a brand that fits you the best. Improper fit can lead to premature wear.

Make sure you hang them up to dry inside out and then outside in when you're done with them. Do not leave them in your vehicle rolled up in a ball in your trunk or under a seat.

Final thoughts. Buy from a company that has a good warranty. LL Bean has one of the best warranties in the business and models in your price range. I own these ones from Orvis. For the price, these are a solid buy if you ask me.

Breathable Chest Waders / Pack & Travel Waders with SonicSeam Technology -- Orvis

One other consideration for you. State College has some pretty good fly shops, have you gone there to try them on? Flyfisher's Paradise is a well run shop so I've heard. If you had a problem, you might be able to resolve it locally through them. Worth a stop and a discussion if you ask me.