The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 07:42 PM

gregnash will become famous soon enough
Default New to fly fishing in No. NV....+ intro

So after years of wanting to get back into fishing I finally bit the bullet recently and took the leap. I have a life long friend that his entire family has fly fished since he was about 7yrs old and they always tried to get me into it. Well after all these years I finally did.

So on the advice of a fellow Toyota Land Cruiser owner, that happens to be a guide in CA, I picked up a Redington Crosswater 5wt setup and have done some lawn casting at the local middle school track.

It is amazing what you pick up on the first couple outtings. While my buddy recommended stuff he lives a good distance away so I have been pretty much learning on my own, and picking up bad habits I am sure. Luckily there is a tributary only a 5 mile fire road ride up the hill from my house that I have frequented twice in the last week as my first trips. Nothing but solitude, listening to the sound of the fish rising and the wildlife.

On my first day I caught a small 6" rainbow on my third cast and then got another 7" brookie a little while later.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

I was out there for a little over an hour (it was the first time I had gone all the way up the fireroad) so landing two fish in an hour I thought was pretty good. Conditions were great and I really wished I could have stayed longer.

Then on Wednesday I was able to go out again, this time for a little longer but the wind was killing me and limiting the areas I could cast.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

I finally found a small area in the weed where I could see a ton of fish patrolling and decided to dangle my fly out there and see what happened.
Well about 10 minutes later I got this guy, an 11"ish Tiger Trout!
Click the image to open in full size.

Well I have to say that that was a pretty good start and I am hooked on this fly fishing thing. the first day I started with nothing but the rod/reel, a box of flies the guy at the local Orvis picked out for me and that is it. Wading out in my flip-flops in a t-shirt and shorts.
Since then I have purchased a vest, floatant, nippers, hemostats, net, magnetic net holder, and some extra 5x tippet/leader.

So now comes the fun part!! I need some recommendations on wading boots and waders. I really have no clue what to look for and a good portion of the year I can actually not use the waders (like right now).
Living in Northern NV I am blessed with living near a mecca for everything outdoors, I have wheeling, mtn biking, fishing, hiking, and every snow sport a short 30 minutes from my doorstep.

Appreciate any recommendations you guys can give on other "essentials". I am limited on budget so I have been looking at Cabela's or Orvis budget boots and waders but want something that I am not going to have to replace next year (or necessarily want to replace). Thanks in advance and hopefully I can be a good contributor to the forum!!!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:18 PM

amertens is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New to fly fishing in No. NV....+ intro

Hi, fellow Nevadan here. For cheaper waders I am a pretty big fan of my redington's. I think they are the palix? And roughly 150 bucks I think. The boots, I would just go try them on and see what you like. If the budgets tight I feel that you can skimp on waders if you want but save and buy the best boots you can. Id rather have baggy legs and comfy feet than the other way around. Simms guide boots would be my recommendation and they run about 200. If your looking for cheaper entry level stuff look at the Hendrix outdoors stuff. It's all Chinese made but sold through Hendrix outdoors in Fallon. Same people that have the worm farms out there. I have a pair of there boots that aren't bad and a pretty good warranty on them. Think I paid 90 dollars. I see there stuff all over the area now.

Good luck and have fun, also I'm sure you know about it but there is a little tiny fly shop down in minden... Or gardnerville?... I confuse those too. They don't carry much on hand but they have flies and some essentials and friendly advice.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome back, and nice pics.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:40 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Nice kick off to the fly life there Greg.

Welcome to the addiction and to this brethren of enablers.

TT
Old 08-10-2013, 05:15 PM

Thanks guys I know all about the brethren of enablers.
I own a 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 and if you want to see some serious "enabling" go check out the forums at IH8MUD.com

So here is a question, do I need "wading socks" to go with my wading boots? I am looking at getting the Korker Redside because I like the idea/ability to change out the sole depending on the area I am in. We have NZ Mudsnail here in No NV and NorCal Truckee so felt is a no-no but elsewhere I may be able to use them.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:32 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

For the waders, check out Sierra Trading Post .com. I was noodling around there last night and they Patagonia at about $150 give or take (not sure how good their waders are but their other stuff is good) and they've got a few other brands. They're a good place to do business with.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:01 PM

Well on a whim I decided to go up to Reno and check around at a few places. Luckily I have a Cabela's, Scheels, Sportsmans Warehouse, Orvis, and Sierra Trading Post all within a 45 minute drive of my house. Stopped by Sportsman's and grabbed the Korker Redside with some booties/wading socks. Not bad for $140 out the door with tax and all. Hopefully they will get their first outing tomorrow morning.

Since the weather is still pretty warm around here I have some time before I need to worry about waders really. But I have been reading good things about the Redington Crosswaters as good, budget friendly neoprene breathable waders. Anyone have these?
Old 08-10-2013, 07:19 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi gregnash.
For a newcomer you done good (a saying we have over here) nice pics .
Even though I'm yet to visit Reno which I've heard a lot about from a departed mate (I've been to Vegas) one day hopefully I'll go & fish The Truckee.
Brian
Old 08-11-2013, 03:52 PM

Thanks guys. Went out again this morning and had a couple spit out the hook and the caught two more; another tiger and a rainbow both about 10". Funny thing is that I am catching these where I can't cast. Basically I am just dangling the fly out in front of some weeds by the bank. Fun but frustrating at the same time.