The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 07:49 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can still smell the fire smoke in the house, but the air is clear.

Second time in weeks where I can actually see the sky. Hills a half mile away were just hazy out lines, at best. Huge thunder clouds building up above me, but clear skies and no smoke. In side of the house still 'stinks' of the damned stuff. Opened all the doors/windows .... over head fans on 'full speed.'

78 degrees out side and I don't give a xhit!
Old 08-11-2013, 10:49 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Can still smell the fire smoke in the house, but the air is clear.

I camped out on the skinny end of the Payette River above Crouch Saturday. The first 2 hours while we were setting up camp and fishing, we were in an ash storm. Weird light through the smoke and the sun a red disk. we were all wondering if there was a new fire we hadn't heard about and when would it show up.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 08-12-2013, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That's good news Fredlooks like the nightmare is nearly over
Old 08-12-2013, 04:57 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I should be so lucky! Still several thousand men/women working the fire lines in SW Oregon. Only 'up,' if you want to call it that, is the two big ones have joined and it actually makes fighting them 'easier.' What's helped is the wind keep shifting from SW to out of the NE.

Blowing the smoke out of the Valley for a pleasant change. 'Old Eyes' still need lube drops every hour.

I'd love to see the 'Logistics's' that keeps this going. Helped with one of those (Vollie) years back and it was amazing how much food you could cook/serve even with 'soup kitchen' equipment out in the field. Into a tent at 9PM, up at 0300 and stoves off and running. At 0500'ish you'd had a thousand men with plates walking by you. Fifty some dozen eggs into 'scrambled eggs' with chopped up ham. (My job) A thousand (guess) pounds of fried potato's. God only knows how many gallons of OJ and hot coffee.

Clean up and back into a tent for more sleep. At 5-7 pm we were ready. Three huge BBQ's fired off at 1300 and stacks and stack of chicken parts over the coals. (We had a generator running warming oven to keep them warm. So don't over cook!!) 'Steaks/Tri-tips' were cooked as requested. These fellows could easily consume 4 to 5 thousand calories per day. For the outlying crews we made huge sandwiches that were trucked up to them, and canisters of hot coffee. A slab's of tri-tip meat makes a hell of a good sandwich. Sliced Tamato's/etc., were never put on the bread; would turn the whole thing into mush. Just open the Tupperware for all the rest. Plastic knives/forks provided. Patato salad we just had to buy, too much trouble to try to make.

My employer at the time - Key Bank: "Stay there, I'll send some one down to cover your desk in Medford." Took close to a couple of weeks before the smoke-smell got washed off my body. We had Army and Marine Corp Medic's with us and I'd see 'a face.' Turn around and pull on his sleeve and head nudge ='him.'

The "Thousand Yard Stare." If you've seen it, you can't miss 'The Look.'

One of the longest two weeks in my life; same clothing on for the whole time. Would just jump in the river and clean up with a bar of soap.

Got back to work and only one question, from one person: "How bad was it?''

'You really don't want to know.'

fae

Last edited by fredaevans; 08-12-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:42 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

We are socked in pretty good here. Drift smoke from blazing Idaho. Friday night there were a couple hundred lightening strikes so once those blow up it could get ugly.

August is so very depressing here.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:21 PM

Hear your D-MT. We're getting more than our share of isolated thunder showers. Couple of nights ago one went off right over the house. The windows rattled, and the Yellow Lab was off the bed like he'd been fired out of a cannon.

Another one hit a house less than two blocks from me last night. Interesting to see the TV film. Drilled a hole right through the roof into the owner's bedroom and out a wall plug. She didn't even get a scratch. But I'll bet she's on 'Med's now.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:14 PM

idnative1948 is on a distinguished road

This was the worst day of smoke in the city that we have had for a looong time, luckily. But really got nasty today about 10:30-11:00 as you couldn't even see the Boise Front from due East to Northeast and from Bogus North. Sounds like we may be stuck in this all week.
A trip to the cabin in Eastern OR for the weekend may have to get put on hold?
Old 08-12-2013, 10:45 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

We could smell smoke last night and again at noon. About 15,000 acres burned on the Utah - Idaho border. Ther are about 5 smaller fires burning that are closer to us, but are under control.All apear to be lightening strikes.
We could use some rain !
Old 08-13-2013, 05:17 AM

Hear you about the Lightning strikes. All that stuff headed your way goes right over my head (or just south of me). Amazing to watch the clouds pile up miles into the sky. You just know they're loaded for bear (spelling intended).

Had a house hit just a couple of blocks away from me a couple of nights ago. Blew a hole right through the roof and then grounded out through a bedroom wall plug! Wiring Codes around here for 'new construction' are heavy duty.

Live in a new'ish subdivision and lots of home building going on around me. Will do the 'Cook's Tour' every few days and the wiring in these new homes has to be seen to be believed. Even in a 1700 sq foot home there's 'miles of the stuff' with all the multi-switch light fixtures.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:04 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

The air finally cleared up here in McCall yesterday morning but the smoke rolled in again last night. We got a fair amount of ash over the weekend, more then I expected considering we are west of the fires. I have to travel to Boise this weekend to stock up on fishing supplies for an AK trip and I'm not looking forward to choking on the smoke. A friend of mine said the valley looks like Mexico City