The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 06:22 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Flyfishing for Beginner?

Hi cc 268.
Firstly welcome also as Silver mentioned you omitted a Fly Line from your list.
There are heaps of places beside what's been mentioned where you can buy good Lines & other gear where you don't have to pay Top Shelf Prices after you work out what you will need.
For the last 8 or so years I've imported most of my Fishing & Fly Tying gear as it's either unavailable or too expensive.
Brian.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:10 PM

cc268 is infamous around these parts

Sorry for such a late reply guys I kind of forgot I posted here! I guess I will go with a guide sometime before I get any fly fishing stuff!

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
Welcome.

First things first. I live in Anthem AZ, so I may be able to help you a little, as to where to get things and who to talk to, etc.

Do you mean the BPS in Mesa, AZ? Or is there one in Flag?

If you mean the one in Mesa, talk to Jaquelyn, in the BPS fly shop, otherwise known as Jaqui (pronounced Jackie). Although young, she has been fly fishing for more than half her life, and she is an excellent resource. She can not only set you up with an appropriate rig, she is also a certified casting instructor and an excellent teacher. She can teach you to tie if you like, and she knows AZ waters as well as anyone I know.

If you go to Cabela's in Peoria, talk to Robin or Mike in the fly shop. They can do a like-wise job for you over there. Another thing to mention is that Cabela's has combo rigs for sale. Right now I think you can get the Traditional II (might be III) combo for $80 I think. That's rod, reel, backing and line. Now, I'll be honest, the reel's not much to talk about, but it will do the job until you can afford something better. But the rod is actually a nice piece. I handled a 9 ft. 5 wt. about a month ago and was fairly impressed with it's ability. Anyway, it's something to look into.

As to what else you might need. Forceps and nippers. Regular nail clippers will do, or a swiss army knife with scissors, but eventually you'll end up with nippers. They're cheap, which is good because you'll lose several of them at first.

Do yourself a favor and get a half decent set of forceps. Dr. Slicks are good and although they're like $15, you'll be happier for it. Your forceps are multi-taskers, doing everything from pinching splitshot onto or off of your line, to picking flies out of your box, or putting them back, etc. Oh, and they are good at picking flies out of fishes mouths.

Everything else is optional for now, but eventually you'll want waders and wading boots, a couple retractors, a knot tying tool, a leader straightener patch thingy, a headlight, a trout-friendly net, a couple more rods, three or four reels, several more boxes of flies . . . Oh, and a good luck hat. That's probably more important than the waders. Not as important as the fly line.

Hope that helps.

Peace.
Yes I go to the BPS in Mesa all the time for my fishing stuff! I have some nippers already and would pick up some forceps. I think I will listen to everyone's advice on here though and go with a guide before I buy anything
Old 08-27-2013, 08:12 PM

garybrower is on a distinguished road

Check Craigslist for yard sales. Then search for "fly fishing". You might find some good stuff. I found a 7' 7wt Vintage Eagle Claw Trailmaster for $3. Not the top-of-the-line these days, but good for bass in a pond. Same guy sold me a Thompson "A" fly vise for $2. For someone on a budget . . .
Old 08-27-2013, 08:34 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc268 View Post
Sorry for such a late reply guys I kind of forgot I posted here! I guess I will go with a guide sometime before I get any fly fishing stuff!

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

Yes I go to the BPS in Mesa all the time for my fishing stuff! I have some nippers already and would pick up some forceps. I think I will listen to everyone's advice on here though and go with a guide before I buy anything
If you can afford a guide, it can cut down on the learning curve. However, if you have more time than money, I'd suggest you go out and buy a starter outfit and start fishing. If money is really tight, the cost of a guide is probably going to be more than the cost of the first outfit you buy. Not to say it may not be worth it to you, if you can indeed afford it.

Fishing equipment doesn't have to be rocket science. Most rods made today will preform well enough to allow you to catch fish. Concentrate on the act of fishing, not on buying equipment (although that is fun in itself if you can afford it)

If you do decide to go the guide route, make sure you get a guide who can cater to what you want to learn. Alot of people who use a guide do so in order catch alot of fish, they may have no intention to ever fish again. So alot of guides focus on methods, places, and techniques to catch alot of fish. There is nothing wrong with the guide doing so, that's what some customers want. This may not serve you well in the long run. It really makes no sense to learn to fish out of a drift boat if you don't plan to own a drift boat.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 08-29-2013, 08:10 PM

cc268 is infamous around these parts

Thanks for all the replies guys. As I am sure I said in my first post, I am a pretty avid fisher (spinning/baitcaster) and fish while I am up at college as well as when I am home. Bass, Pike, Walleye, Catfish, and the occasional Crappie are what I normally fish for nowadays, although I started out with trout. For now I will probably continue to do this, but I may pick up some flyfishing stuff next summer, maybe even sooner. I am sure I will get into it at some point. When I can I will get a guide if I decide to flyfish. Thanks for all the replies though and I will continue to my research!