The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 10:46 PM

cc268 is infamous around these parts
Default Flyfishing for Beginner?

Alright so I am currently a college student in Flagstaff, AZ. I have a lot of experience fishing with spinning reels and baitcasters for bass, pike, trout, crappie, catfish, walleye, etc...
Bass, pike, and catfish being my main focus. I learned to fish with a spinning rod and fished for trout down in Sedona with a spinning setup.

I recently got interested in fly fishing and have been watching videos and doing some research. I don't know when I will be purchasing any fly fishing stuff as I don't have much to spend at the moment, but would like to do my research and get some opinions.

I would probably go to Bass Pro to get help picking specific gear out as they have a specific fly fishing area. However for now I would like to establish a list of gear I would need to start. So far I would think:

- Reel
- Rod
- Backing, leader, tapered leader
- Flies

Keep in mind I may have a lot of the other things from my other fishing tackle.
What else do I need?
Old 08-09-2013, 11:04 PM

navezgane will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Flyfishing for Beginner?

You can save yourself a lot of frustration on learning to cast and fly fish yourself and wasted money spent on products and gear you may and most likely will come to figure out may not be towards your liking by hiring a guide or going to classes. I took up an gave up fly fishing twice before hiring a personal guide to show me what I was doin wrong and how to do it right before coming fully engulfed with it as I am now. Once you are shown the ropes and basics you can fine tune them to your liking. Classes and/or a guide will give you this.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:17 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum !
It's hard to beat hands on training when learning to fly fish. Especially the timing of the cast.Many fly shops offer free lessons. As a college student, you may have a limited budget. Try putting an ad on the bulletin board in the student union, in the campus paper, or on line. There may be expierienced fly fishermen on campus willing to take you on an outing. You may also be able to find some nice used rods and reels available for a good price right on campus.
Some colleges have fly fishing clubs or groups. Check out your local opportunities, and take advantage of what may be available right where you are.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:18 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc268 View Post
Alright so I am currently a college student in Flagstaff, AZ. I have a lot of experience fishing with spinning reels and baitcasters for bass, pike, trout, crappie, catfish, walleye, etc...
Bass, pike, and catfish being my main focus. I learned to fish with a spinning rod and fished for trout down in Sedona with a spinning setup.

I recently got interested in fly fishing and have been watching videos and doing some research. I don't know when I will be purchasing any fly fishing stuff as I don't have much to spend at the moment, but would like to do my research and get some opinions.

I would probably go to Bass Pro to get help picking specific gear out as they have a specific fly fishing area. However for now I would like to establish a list of gear I would need to start. So far I would think:

- Reel
- Rod
- Flies

Keep in mind I may have a lot of the other things from my other fishing tackle.
What else do I need?
Dude you are in the promised land. Flagstaff is great! Macy's coffee alone makes it worth the trip. I caught more trout during a Grand Canyon float trip than I've ever caught in my life. It was ridiculous.

I'll tell you what. I recently scored a three piece Loomis GL3 on Ebay. That leaves me with a back up 5wt I've never used and don't need. Having been a starving college student fly fisher its yours for 20 bucks plus shipping if you want it. Its a 5 pc 5 weight Allbright, not the world's best rod but not too shabby either. I bought it for back packing, but I always just wound up taking my Fischer 4wt instead. It comes in a nice cordura tube (the zipper is broken on the cap so I got it as a scratch and dent, but the rod is pristine). Anyway, its brand new.

As to a reel, don't spend a bunch of money. For the size trout you'll be catching, all its there for is to hold your line. If you want to drive down to Lake Mead for stripers, then yeah, get a good one. But for trout? Nothing wrong with a Pfleugar Medalist. An Orvis Battenkill or a Sage or Reddington if you want to step it up a bit, but don't spend a lot of money here. Save it for flies and a good flyline.

Do buy a good WFF line, don't skimp here or you'll regret it, and a bottle of cleaning gunk for it, its important to keep the line clean so it floats high.

A vest, I like the mesh Patagonia standup vest (look used on Ebay) they're worth it, if for no other reason than the forward pockets are the perfect size to hold a 16oz beer..

As to flies, the usual Western fly suspects work and bead head brassys and copper johns seem to do well out there, but you've got a good fly shop in town (or at least you did, I forget the name) and they'll hook you up.
Good luck and welcome
turbineblade likes this.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:25 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc268 View Post
However for now I would like to establish a list of gear I would need to start. So far I would think:

- Reel
- Rod
- Flies

What else do I need?
You need a fly line.........

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-09-2013, 11:25 PM

gregnash will become famous soon enough

If you have a Cabelas near you the have their Premeire Prestige line on sale for $39 right now and from what I have read it is the same as Cortland 444. I was able to pick up a redington Crosswater 5wt kit for $100 from Sierra trading post. So do some looking around.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:29 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
If you have a Cabelas near you the have their Premeire Prestige line on sale for $39 right now and from what I have read it is the same as Cortland 444. I was able to pick up a redington Crosswater 5wt kit for $100 from Sierra trading post. So do some looking around.
That's a great buy. Sierra Trading Post is a great outfit, you never know what they'll have from one day to the next, but they'll take anything back and even pay return shipping. For a hundred bucks if you have it, I'd look at that Reddington kit (assuming we're talking a reel with line etc.).
Old 08-10-2013, 03:22 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Welcome.

First things first. I live in Anthem AZ, so I may be able to help you a little, as to where to get things and who to talk to, etc.

Do you mean the BPS in Mesa, AZ? Or is there one in Flag?

If you mean the one in Mesa, talk to Jaquelyn, in the BPS fly shop, otherwise known as Jaqui (pronounced Jackie). Although young, she has been fly fishing for more than half her life, and she is an excellent resource. She can not only set you up with an appropriate rig, she is also a certified casting instructor and an excellent teacher. She can teach you to tie if you like, and she knows AZ waters as well as anyone I know.

If you go to Cabela's in Peoria, talk to Robin or Mike in the fly shop. They can do a like-wise job for you over there. Another thing to mention is that Cabela's has combo rigs for sale. Right now I think you can get the Traditional II (might be III) combo for $80 I think. That's rod, reel, backing and line. Now, I'll be honest, the reel's not much to talk about, but it will do the job until you can afford something better. But the rod is actually a nice piece. I handled a 9 ft. 5 wt. about a month ago and was fairly impressed with it's ability. Anyway, it's something to look into.

As to what else you might need. Forceps and nippers. Regular nail clippers will do, or a swiss army knife with scissors, but eventually you'll end up with nippers. They're cheap, which is good because you'll lose several of them at first.

Do yourself a favor and get a half decent set of forceps. Dr. Slicks are good and although they're like $15, you'll be happier for it. Your forceps are multi-taskers, doing everything from pinching splitshot onto or off of your line, to picking flies out of your box, or putting them back, etc. Oh, and they are good at picking flies out of fishes mouths.

Everything else is optional for now, but eventually you'll want waders and wading boots, a couple retractors, a knot tying tool, a leader straightener patch thingy, a headlight, a trout-friendly net, a couple more rods, three or four reels, several more boxes of flies . . . Oh, and a good luck hat. That's probably more important than the waders. Not as important as the fly line.

Hope that helps.

Peace.
turbineblade and siege like this.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 08-10-2013, 06:01 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Dude, take up the guy (fq13) offering you the rod for $20. You will never find something this generous happening ever again as long as you live, most likely.

Get a fly line that matches the rod, tie on just a simple 5-8' strip of 6-8 pound test (to practice), a piece of yarn, and then work on your basic cast! I learned mostly by watching youtube and listening to people on here.

After you get your basic casting mechanics, you need to learn to fish -- which is better to learn by watching someone and/or finding a good mentor IMO . I had a lot of spinning rod background and was more comfortable with the "fishing" aspect (managing a drift, mending, swinging, using slack, etc.) but my casting really sucked at first. A lot of folks learn to cast quite well, but can't fish to save their lives. Try to learn both -- both put together make the fisherman.

Lol, the local AZ folks keeping chiming in -- this is great. Listen to every thing they tell you -- local people will know what you'll need better than anyone else on this forum.

I assume you're mostly just dealing with trout in flag? I was going to say: You'll probably be like me and end up with several rods and reels and all kinds of other junk. My brother in law sent me a lot of stuff when he found out I took up fly fishing about a year ago. All I really need and the two rigs I use the most are:

9' 5-weight
9' 8-weight

I could take these anywhere on the planet and probably find something to do with them. I don't know what people usually use in flag for your trout waters, but you'll see some variation there as well. I'm betting the 9' 5-weight is a good one though.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:51 PM

dw29 will become famous soon enough

Here is a fly-fishing club in Flagstaff. Note that they offer casting lessons and other instruction:

Home Page