The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 09:05 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold
Default Catskills

A friend of mine is visiting from the U.K. in September and I plan to take him to the Catskills for a few days fishing. He does fly fish, but has not fished rivers before. This will also be my first trip there, so I'm looking for a bit of advice on which particular rivers we should fish. I should add that I am not a fan of guided trips.
Any help appreciated.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:05 AM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Catskills

Eddie, I bought the Flyfisher's Guide to New York. I did find a bit of help on this forum... I also emailed the president of the local TU chapter in the area I was planning to fish, received no reply. Good luck with your search and your trip.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:45 PM

dagumer is on a distinguished road

Hi Eddie,

I live north from the Catskills, so once in a while I go fishing there. I mostly fish the Esopus and the Willowemoc. The Esopus is a nice river. Below Shandaken the river is a tailwater, but the water is always colored. It doesn't get as much fishing pressure as the other rivers in the region and it has stocked browns and wild rainbows. The trout are not that selective and on most days, prince, copper johns and hare's ear nymphs will get you some fish. The Willowemoc is a bit prettier (although that's of course is just my opinion), it has more access points, but it gets more fishing pressure, and the trout can get more selective. The Beaverkill is probably the most famous of the rivers in the region, but I find it to be very similar to the Willowemoc, but with even more fishermen.

These as some maps for the Esopus and the Willowemoc.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_mari...fresopusck.pdf

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_mari...rwillocklb.pdf

Here is a website with stream conditions that gets updated every day

Stream Conditions | Catskill Flies

You can also go the the Orvis website, they have a section where they show the fishing conditions and recommend some flies and best stretches of the rivers.

Best of luck with the fishing
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:32 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Eddie
You should be fishing the Housatonic and the Farmington. They're right in your neighborhood and the Farmington River tail water is one of the very best trout rivers in the east.

You could go there tomorrow to scout it out.

The Housatonic is still a little warm I would think and many of the trout are probably still in the legally protected thermal refuges but once the water temp drops it's as good a river as any in the Catskills.
Outstanding smallmouth fishing too.... right now..... in your town.....where you live.
Eddie O'Neill likes this.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:44 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

September the Beaverkill by Lew Beach . Also like the Willow at this time. The good thing is it's less crowded in Sept due to the early runs on the Salmon River as of late.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-12-2013, 07:46 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Thanks a lot guys, some good info there to get me started.

---------- Post added at 05:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Eddie
You should be fishing the Housatonic and the Farmington. They're right in your neighborhood and the Farmington River tail water is one of the very best trout rivers in the east.

You could go there tomorrow to scout it out.

The Housatonic is still a little warm I would think and many of the trout are probably still in the legally protected thermal refuges but once the water temp drops it's as good a river as any in the Catskills.
Outstanding smallmouth fishing too.... right now..... in your town.....where you live.
We will definitely be on the Housatonic and the Farmington as well. My mate has this thing about the Catskills, hence the question.
In terms of smallmouth, where are you referring to?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:13 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
In terms of smallmouth, where are you referring to?
Nutmeg Bronzebacks -- Smallmouth Bass Fly Fishing in Connecticut
http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/fish...port080813.pdf

Quote:
Mid to late summer is a great time of the year to fish for smallmouth (and largemouth) bass. The Housatonic River in New Milford is not particularly photogenic but regularly yields smallmouth lunkers; further upstream don’t miss the Bass Management Area (“Stanley Tract” from Dawn Hill Road in Sharon to Skiff Mountain Road in Kent) or the Bull’s Bridge Trout & Bass Management Area (which is best fished on weekdays due to the number of tourists and swimmers it gets on weekends). Smallmouth bass are great fun on a 5-6 weight fly rod; olive, brown and rusty-orange flies resembling crayfish are particularly effective.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:31 PM

Sounds great to me. Thanks for the info Never fly fished for bass before. The wife is away on business at the end of the week. Guess where I will be

Last edited by Eddie O'Neill; 08-12-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:27 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

You could also try the West Branch of the Delaware near Deposit.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:30 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

I'd hit the Beaverkill, if for no other reason than the memories, it is "Holy Water".......

One stormy April night three men rode out of the darkness into the streets of the Catskills village of Roscoe. ''Gentlemen,'' said Sparse Grey Hackle, ''remove your hats. This is it.'' ''This is where the trout was invented?'' the driver asked. ''Oh,'' Mr. Hackle said, ''he existed in a crude, primitive form in Walton's England - '' ''But this,'' said Meade Schaeffer, artist and angler, ''is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim.'' It was the eve of Opening Day of the New York trout season. It can be said without irreverence that to celebrate Opening Day on the Beaverkill is a little like observing Christmas in Bethlehem. For the Beaverkill is the shrine, the fountainhead, the most beloved and best-known trout stream in America, the river of George LaBranche, Theodore Gordon, Guy Jenkins and the Flyfishers Club of Brooklyn. Red Smith

.......he wouldn't even have to catch a fish !
Eddie O'Neill and eastfly66 like this.