The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 02:21 PM

paflyfish is on a distinguished road
Default First time using flyfishing guide

I am using a flyfishing guide for the first time next week. I am looking forward to it. I have only been flyfishing for a bit more than a year. I explained my newbie status to the fly shop and explained that I was looking for coaching and advice as much as the fishing. They said no problem.

We worked out who brings what already. Any advice on what to expect? Also...what about tipping? I have read different opinions on the topic. Such as if the business owner provides the service then a tip is not expected or can even be taken wrong as they set the price. If the guide is not the owner, then a tip is a part of it. I am not sure if that is accurate though. And what about the %?

Any help appreciated!
Old 08-10-2013, 02:31 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: First time using flyfishing guide

Where are you fishing? Wading or drifting?

Tip the guy like you'd tip in a cafe...good service and hard work = nice tip. Just remember you signed up to be guided and he can do the job of the century...but if they aren't a'bitin then that's why they call it fishing...he still deserves a tip, especially if he taught you stuff that takes years off your learning curve. my $.02...-Mike
Old 08-10-2013, 02:54 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Be a good listener and pay close attention to the instruction you receive. Ask questions if you don't understand why, how, etc. That's part of what you were asking for when you booked the guide in the shop. I'm with Mike on this, tip like you would at a restaurant, but don't judge the tip on the conditions. If you get a good learning experience and manage to catch a few fish, I'd call that a good day.

Other than that, enjoy.
fredaevans and yonder like this.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for the advice that Mike gave. If you catch zip and feel the guide worked his behind off trying to teach you how to fly fish then tip him like you would when you go out to a fine restaurant. Even though you have talked to the shop, when you get with the guide, reiterate what you want out of the trip, my advice is to have him concentrate on teaching fly fishing (not catching). The more he can teach you in the time you have together, the better off you will be in the long run......your learning curve with sky rocket and you will be able to walk away with the lessons he has taught and apply them on your own.
imxer, fredaevans, jaybo41 and 2 others like this.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:55 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

I’m in favor of tipping. Let’s look at this way, there’s an old saying that goes, "A guide is only as good as his last trip “.
So yes, if you execute all the functions he asks of you and you follow his directions as you would if he were, let’s say, your employer. If you have a great day, catch lots of nice fish. Then at days end, you head back to the shop with him and brag up his talents in front of his boss and the next days clients.

Then sure, he should tip you, handsomely.
If he forgets to offer one, remind him, immediately.
Expect 15% - 20% of your usual daily gross wage.

Hey have a great time out there, the first time for many is the most memorable.
TT
Old 08-11-2013, 06:19 AM

paflyfish is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the advice. This is a wade fishing trip.

I understand the part about not basing a tip on how many fish a person catches. Especially when I tell him I am interested in learning technique. The great part is that I will be in the area for a couple of days afterward to practice the things I learn.

I am getting pumped for this.
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:48 AM

BigJim2x has a spectacular aura aboutBigJim2x has a spectacular aura about

A lot of good advice here and I hope others keep it coming.

I too have hired a guide for a day next week - first time ever. My fly fishing experience is also limited to being out on my own a dozen or so times over the last 15 years so I consider myself a newbie in experience if not in epoch.

There is a brook trout creek 10 minutes from where I live and a stocked stream within 30 minutes and then the next closest trout stream is over an hour away. The brook trout stream is about 8' wide and heavily canopied with trees and I have no idea how to effectively fish it. One of my goals is to have the guide show me a similar situation in the area we fish so I can apply that to my local area.

For a tip I plan on 10 - 20% depending on how informative the trip is.

Good luck to both of us and I hope we both have great experiences.

Jim
Old 08-11-2013, 12:19 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

I would say to give him a nice tip! The guide is trying to make a living ..... and you probably make more money with less effort?
Old 08-11-2013, 01:43 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

I don't get the tipping thing. You have paid for his service, why should you give more?
So if you are a good student you get money back? :what:

Kim
Old 08-11-2013, 01:52 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I feel compelled to tip because I worked in the service industry for 10 years in a restaurant. I can't give you precise percentages, but when a guide is booked through a shop, who do you think is going to take the largest cut? Guide or the shop? Private guiding operations are a little different but they also carry more overhead between guide license/insurance and equipment costs.

C'mon man, if you have money to shell out for a guide you have a few bucks to tip if they deserved one. Especially if you are ever considering using the same guide again.
mcnerney, jgentile and enolaeagle like this.