The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree23Likes
  • 11 Post By siege
  • 6 Post By Rip Tide
  • 4 Post By theboz
  • 2 Post By kicker19

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 12:56 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of
Default The first time

The first time I ever went fishing, my Mom took me. My Dad had died the year before, and Mom thought it would be a good thing for me to learn to fish. We did not have a car, so we walked about a mile and a half to a seawall on Biscayne Bay. She didn't know anything about fishing, but she knew a lot about encouraging. The first fish I ever caught was a 1 1/2 pound mangrove snapper. That fish was joined by 2 others that afternoon, and they became our dinner. It was an eventful day for a 9 year old, and fishing became important to me in so many ways. Mom has been gone for a long time now, but the legacy lives on in our family.

What was your first fishing expierence ?

P.S. ...Sometimes when I'm fishing, I feel your presence. Thanks, Mom
mcnerney, jpbfly, jaybo41 and 8 others like this.

Last edited by siege; 08-11-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:18 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The first time

This is my dad and I, opening day 1959.
My mother took the picture but caught the big one.
She went into labor while we were there and my sister was born that same day

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's my first fish, a yellow perch. Lovewell Pond, Fryburg Maine

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney, jaybo41, cletus and 3 others like this.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:49 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

My first fish was a winter flounder I was 3 . I went with my grandfathers, my dad and uncle. The only thing I remember and very clearly is how clear the water was and that you could see the flounder as they went to the bait . Fishing was so good they would take your rowboat on a barge drop you in a spot and pick you up later! No motor needed and no moves needed!
Their all gone now my original fishing partners but never forgotten .
The tradition lives on in my kids as well as their kids! Like it was when I was young it's how we get together and I wouldn't have it any other way.
On my way to LI in a bit to see my mom with my son and his girlfriend and of course we are going crabbing and fishing it's what we do! Family always seems at it's best when fishing !
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-11-2013, 04:58 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

First time was when I was 7 years old with my dad to a catfish pond. It was small pond in comparison to most ponds, at that age I could cast to the center of it. Maybe a puddle for an adult, but for me it was a lake !! When I finally hook into a fish there was this overwhelming sensation of excitement and fear, was like the first time on a roller coaster. Dad guiding me to whole time we reel the catfish near the bank, I'm more excited at this point that when I attempt to get the fish onto land I somewhen slipped on the bank and fell right into the "lake"! Dad scoops me up, im still holding tight to the rod, event fish and "fisherman" were safely on shore. Thinking about it, it still makes me laugh
dakotakid and siege like this.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:40 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

My grandmother took me on my first fishing trip, they lived on Old Hickory Lake outside of Nashville, and had a floating dock below the house. My family was in the process of moving and my parents dropped my older brother and I off at the grandparents for a month. (I now know why my parents did this and I'm living proof to their wisdom.) Both sets of grandparents lived on opposite sides of Nashville, so we alternated weeks between them. Granny liked to fish for whatever would bite her hook, usually baited with a worm under a bobber. Even had the cane poles, we just leaned them up against the dock railing and waiting for something to happen. I don't remember her ever cleaning the catch, pretty sure the lady that did the cooking (granny was good cook but preferred not to cook LOL) did the cleaning as well. Miss Lottie was a excellent good as well. That was a good summer, as everyone knows, grandchildren get what they want.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:13 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I was 4 or 5 maybe and my dad and older cousin took me to the old home place in the GSMNP got my fisrt rainbow trout.Still addicted.