The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 09:01 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Nymphing Stick

I've checked out some of those 10ft rods for nymphing and wondering how many use them. I thought of grabbing one sometime (for the purpose of adding to the collection) but I wouldnt know what to get...
My 5w is a 7.5' rod but it seems a little funky with larger beadhead flies
maybe because the rod is kind of flimsy. Is a 6w a good choice for that route? I'd like to learn more about a good set up. Allen has some nice 10' rods. A 6w looks boarder line between a size 2 or 3 reel being that a 2 would have minimal backing.
mridenour likes this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 08-11-2013, 10:21 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nymphing Stick

Speaking strictly of single hand rods, I own one 10 footer, it's a 7wt that I use for steelhead in the Lake Erie Tribs. For fishing the largest waters there, it's ideal for handling double nymphs and indicator fishing. Mending line is noticeably improved over a 9ft rod but there is a trade off and with the length, it handles long leaders better. It can be a hinderance if you get into smaller streams or brush lined streams. This rod for me at least, is a one trick pony but where I fish it, the rod is perfect.

For trout, my nymphing is done with 8'6 -9'0 rods. Mostly with 4wts though I do have a 590 that is pretty versatile and gets solid use. I can fish dries, streamers, nymphs with a 9 foot rod. Smallmouth I've mostly fished with my 590 but have this year added a 6 that I'll use as well. The 6 may see some action when the wind is kicking up big time too, but only on the right water. For most of my trout fishing, a 6 is a lot of rod.

Questions: What size streams/bodies of water are you intending on using said 10wt with? What species are you targeting? What size flies do you intend to throw?

If you're looking to fill a niche, a 10ft rod might be ideal, though I'm of the opinion that a 9 footer will prove more versatile.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:27 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Trout (or whatever else but mainly trout), small - medium sized streams. There are a few great spots(larger streams) that I havent been to in years and looking to doing some traveling next year.
Ive seen some using these longer rods on small streams here... looks tricky at spots but doable.

The 10w was returned and switched to 9w llbean (which is killer with sharkskin line) I use that in the big river here when stalking the big bass and musky. The susquehanna is more open water casting long distances.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 08-11-2013, 11:10 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough

I am seriously considering Sage's ESN (10ft 3wt) for nymphing here in CO but I often wonder if the bushy banks on boulder creek would cause me to get into more trouble than it's worth.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
I am seriously considering Sage's ESN (10ft 3wt) for nymphing here in CO but I often wonder if the bushy banks on boulder creek would cause me to get into more trouble than it's worth.
I thought prettty much the same but early in the season theres spots that are pretty deep. Wade out 4ft and you're waist high in water. I was thinking the extra length can help a side arm type cast out in front to stay out from the brush.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 08-12-2013, 06:06 AM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

I use a 9ft 5 wt for nymphing but St. Croix has a 10ft high stick rod that looks sweet designed for czeching.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:22 AM
mridenour

I'm thinking of using an even longer rod. I am addicted to getting out and nymphing boulders and a longer switch rod is probably in my near future.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:47 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

The thing with Czech - or tight-line nymphing - with long rods: generally we have to wade fast water to get close to the fish. It's a great way to catch fish, but I'm not crazy about wading in fast, rocky water.

Randy
Old 08-12-2013, 09:30 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

My go to rod for the Madison River is a 10 ft 5 wt GLX.

Click the image to open in full size.

For my spring creek I use a 9 ft 4 wt. Gary Borger Targus rod.

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 08-12-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:35 AM

swampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the rough

I own two 10 footers. For nymphing trout I often use a 10' 4wt but often through dries with it as well. I'm primarily fishing larger rivers out West now but did use it often back East on tighter rivers.

I also have a 10' 7wt for steelhead on the great lake tributaries. I contest with others that the extra foot is really helpful in mending and reaching runs further out.
jaybo41 likes this.