The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Floating Line Doesn't Anymore

I fish year round also, but here the winter can be very rough on lines. Ice in the guides not to mention on the ground. Stepping on line isn't great either.
Every year I start off putting a new loop wether it is the line its self or a nail/needle knot butt section. In other words, seal the end. Check line for any cracks.
Most of my lines have the slick coat on them but I still use "GLIDE" on them about once a month.
Some of my lines are over 4 years and still float, but I am up grading at least one every year, but more for a new feel or taper.
The Ivory soap is a good suggestion for really dirty line. One of the few all soap no abrasion out there plus IT floats.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:34 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

On my salt water lines I'll flush them out almost every trip & that seems to work. I use Glide on my all my lines both fresh & salt & I keep the cleaning box in my vest & will use it while on the stream if the line starts to sink. I seal the ends of the fly line with some " UV Knot Sense" on the nail knot which I make as small as possible. I've been using the needle nail knot for a few years & I like it.
Also Flourocarbon leaders sink & they might aid your tip in sinking. Rub a "Q" tip around in your guides & if any cotton sticks to the guide you probably have a burr which can damage the coating on your line
Old 02-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

That's some good info there, the ol'Q-tip trick works well.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 02-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDog View Post
What is recommended for sealing the end of the line?
The best way I know to seal the end is with a needle-nail knot or a loop on the end. You can also add a drop of Knot Sense or Supper Glue on the end of the line. Use a needle to apply the glue to the end of the line. Just the tiniest amount of glue will seal the end. One problem with Knot Sense and Super Glue is they dry hard. I like to use Pliabond. I also understand that Shoe Goop that is thinned with lighter fluid may work. I have not tried the Shoe Goop.

Frank
Old 02-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone ever used 'Softex' for this purpose?
Don't know why it wouldn't work.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am thinking that softex might just peel right off. Hummmm I have some maybe I will put som on a line and let it dry to see what happens.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

It might, let us know.

Joni, did you see my question regarding your Streamer pattern?

Old 02-08-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
It might, let us know.

Joni, did you see my question regarding your Streamer pattern?

About the Stripers/wipers? I am thinking a Chartreuse and White or even Yellow and White.
Haven't had a chance to go for them yet. I will see how Willard looks this year.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Yea.
Getting plenty of snow to fill it back up, but their still having issues with the dike, Kinda scary as I live about 3 miles south of it.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Yea.
Getting plenty of snow to fill it back up, but their still having issues with the dike, Kinda scary as I live about 3 miles south of it.

Awesome, I don't mean the scary stuff, but that you live that close. We will have to hook up and fish for some Wipers. I got my 8wts and the 10lb mono. A bunch of guys from another forum had a Wiper day, but I was working and missed it. Looking forward to trying it. About an hour drive for me specially with construction. Stay in touch on this. I wanna try some Gartsides as well.