The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Value of A Leonard and A Powell

I have a Leonard and a Powell, both in 5wt that I inheirited from my grand dad. Both are in great shape, though they have only one tip each. They're 8'6" maybe? I'm not sure. Any idea what these things would be worth? I hate to sell them, but they're just gathering dust and my general rule for rods and guns is that if I won't hunt or fish with it I'm selling it to buy something I'll use.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:35 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future
Default Re: Value of A Leonard and A Powell

Pictures might help for identification and condition.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
Pictures might help for identification and condition.
A question on pictures. I'm a newbie, both on this board and with the whole digital camera thing. How do I post them? Can I upload directly, or do I need to go through photobucket or a similar site?
Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 08:49 AM
mridenour

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
A question on pictures. I'm a newbie, both on this board and with the whole digital camera thing. How do I post them? Can I upload directly, or do I need to go through photobucket or a similar site?
Thanks
Photobucket or something similar works.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:53 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

On the odd time I want to post up a picture (I'm a total Ludite at that) I'll put them as an attachment to a e-mail and send them to someone on the board. They do their 'magic' and 24 hours later we're off and running. To get them attached to the proper post they just do a 'quote' and attached the jpeg(s) underneath.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:26 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You need to up-load your pictures to a picture hosting site (Photobucket/Facebook), then copy/paste them to your post using this icon Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...html#post18780
Old 08-13-2013, 09:32 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
Thanks
You can upload directly into your "Pictures and Albums", in the User Control Panel as an option. Then you can copy by opening another NAFFF tab. milt
Old 08-14-2013, 07:44 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

So, why not fish them? You say that your general rule is to sell the unused and buy something that will get used. What is it (in your mind) that will get used? Yet another modern graphite stick? Bah!

I say fish them because, while they will likely not become your go to stick, I can guarantee that there is nothing else like them in the whole world.

I recently went through this same quandary regarding an old bamboo rod that I had made my mind up as being 'not fishable' in its condition. Guess what? It turns out it WAS fishable, I made a few 'improvements' to it's condition (straightening a section, fixing a few eyelets, etc.) now it is even more fishable and I absolutely love the thing. Heavier than my modern graphite sticks? certainly. Does it shoot line like a fast action modern stick? No way. Is it a thing of beauty to cast and feel a pull on? Definitely!
Old 08-16-2013, 05:47 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to find out what you have, then you can decide to sell them, fish them, hang them on a wall, use them to stake your tomatoes.

Leonard and Powell rods can be worth several thousand dollars, or a couple of hundred, or maybe not even that. Both companies were in business for a long time and made a wide variety of product quality and value wise.

The fact that they have only one tip says more than likely they aren't top of the line rods, but it's probably worth checking them out, just to avoid having to say sometime down the road - "I wish I knew then what I know now."

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 08-16-2013, 11:06 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Google 'Clark's classic fly rod forum,' whole this about Bamboo Rods.