The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 08:26 PM

tbroberts is on a distinguished road
Cool Polarized sunglasses with bifocals

Getting new regular glasses. Decided to go with the unlined progressive lens. I'm also getting prescription polarized sunglasses and originally thought I'd go with a bifocal. Then I remembered all the stumbling around I do when wading. So, for those of you who wear prescription sunglasses, what are your thoughts about this. To bifocal or not to bifocal and wear cheaters or my regular glasses when changing flies? Thanks.

--Brad
Old 08-14-2013, 08:53 PM

jbennett is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Polarized sunglasses with bifocals

Bifocals if you need them. I can't imaging switching back and forth. I've been in progressives for about 5 years. I love them. My sunglasses are not bifocal because the only time I wore them was driving and tennis but now that I'm fishing I plan on getting a new pair that is bifocal. I can barely see tippet.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:14 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

I have a flip down magnifier that clips to the brim of my hat. You can wear any kind of glasses you want with it. It does not attach to your glasses. It looks like a pair of glasses without the frame or sides. The focal length is set for the space between your eyes and where the magnifier drops down to.
You hardly know it's there, and it doesn't interfere with your vision when you wade.
When "deployed", it's awesome for tying flies to tippet. Then it just flips up against the undeside of the brim.They are available for a few bucks in fly shops.

Last edited by siege; 08-14-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:39 PM

trouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura about

It's a b#tch getting old. I wear prescription sunglasses, no-line bifocals that have a double polarization from Maui Jim. Could not ask for a better deal. When the sun drops over the western range, I like to fish the evenings, I put on my normal eyeglasses, that also are no-line bifocals, with transition lens for what little sunlight that might remain. I too love to wade and neither of these glasses create any problems. I recently added a wadding staff to my wade belt after taking a couple of baths in fast moving water.
Go get your feet wet,
Roger
fysh likes this.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Just my .02 cents. Spend some time looking (Costco?) for 'clip on' len's. NOT 'flip downs!' Been using them for years and they cost (if memory serves) twelve bucks.

Full on Pollie bifocals will cost you a small fortune.

fae
Old 08-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I have invisiline bifocals and they are no problem when wading for me. I also switch to my regular glasses when the sun sets to a point that I can.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 08-15-2013, 07:13 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

No-line polarized bi-focals for me! Best investment I ever made. I pretty much wear my regular bi-focals all the time now so the only difference is the lenses are bigger and darker on my sunglasses. If you can afford to, go for it.
fysh likes this.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:07 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I have progressive tri-focals and just use the clip on shades. I used to use the amber color lenses all the time but have moved to the green colored lenses in bright sun as my eyes seemed to get "tired" after being out on the water for several hours, or driving for any length of time. I still use the amber lenses when its raining or foggy as they help cut the glare down for me.

My eyes are so crappy that prescription sunglasses are cost prohibitive, as just my everyday pair are too expensive imo, but I've still got eyeballs that work pretty good with corrective lenses, so I make do.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:57 AM

tbroberts is on a distinguished road

Thanks folks for all your input. I should be getting my progressive lens in for my regular glasses very soon. It will be a change after using bifocals. I'm surprised to hear that nearly all of you really like your progressive, no line lens. All the non fly fishing people I've talked with hate them and have told me that they make them dizzy. I hope that's not the case for me. Now, I'll just have to reach a final decision about going with my sunglasses with my "regular" lens or with the progressive non line lens.

--Brad
Old 08-16-2013, 08:15 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I sprung for bifocals on my last set of fishing glasses. I got Maui Jim readers. Love them. Actually bought a second pair with a different lens shade because I liked them so much. Was using the flip down cheaters and finally got tired of them. They also do not work well with the soft brimmed hats I use during the summer for sun protection.