The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 03:21 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default Vest or chest pack?

I've been debating getting a chest pack to replace my vest. My only concern is that with most chest packs I've looked look to be supported around the neck of the person wearing the pack. If this is true have any of you chest pack users found that to be uncomfortable? Further what brand of chest pack do you prefer. i mainly fish small wade-able water that may or may not require some hiking. I typically carry only two small fly boxes with pre-selected flies for the time of year. Any ideas?
Old 08-15-2013, 03:36 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vest or chest pack?

When it was time to replace my old Orvis vest I decided to look at lumbar packs. After fishing a lumbar pack for a year or so now I can't ever see myself going back to a vest. The designs have come a long way in recent years and go from the simplest of designs (such as you are looking for) to guide-size rigs.

Fishpond makes some really great packs.They make both chest (which often wraps around the neck) and lumbar (which may have an additional strap that lets you wrap around the neck). I tried on both and wasn't sure which was to go so I went with the Dragonfly Guide LTE chest/lumbar model. I have only used it as a lumbar pack and I think it is very good (just slightly big) for what you are describing. If you wanted to go a smaller I would go with the Cirrus Guide LTE, but it doesn't have the sweet fold out front pocket with built in foam like the dragonfly.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:38 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough

I have one of Simms first chest packs that I actually (awkwardly I might add) wear backwards. I had some bad luck with getting the line wrapped up on the pack while wading and a fish on the line or trying to cast and having the line catch.

Don't know if others have had this issue or not.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:56 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Here is my recommendation. Foul Weather Fly Fishing Vest | Filson You can carry what ever in comfort.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:58 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I've had similar experience as longbow. Chestpacks that are big enough to carry a day's worth of stuff are also big enough to be (A.) too heavy on the back of the neck and (B.) also big enough to catch your line too often.

They also will not carry a water bottle or rain jacket.

I went back to the vest.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:03 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Vest or chest pack?

From an 'Old Man.' If you need to carry that much stuff you've missed the point. If I can't 'stick stuff' in a couple of large shirt pockets or the pocket in the front of my Dan B's .... I DON'T NEED IT!

You're off camping for a week, so bloody what? Pack what you need, leave the rest locked in the trunk of the car.

fae
Old 08-15-2013, 04:05 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I gave up on a chest pack. In the way. Went to a sling pack and am very happy. Just scoot it round ya back and then it's like having nothing with you, till you need it. Pull it around, do what ya gotta, then slide it around back and you are back to nothing again. They aren't hot like a vest either.

Just my 2cents.

Mike
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:08 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough

i think everyone should check out umpquas new chest pack. I lvoed my simms guide sling pack but it seemed to always get full of water when i was out wading. So I started looking around for chest packs that did not use a neck strap. Umpquas new chest pack uses shoulder straps which is pretty awesome.

https://umpqua.com/products/packs-an...0-chest-pack-0
Old 08-15-2013, 04:10 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Although I have never tryed the modern day chest packs years ago there was denim vest that was like a half bib that you wore in front and tied around your back. Wore it a few times and although less cumbersome realized that i couldnt carry anything extra with it like water bottles etc.
Stayed with my vest and never looked back! Maybe I would like the new chest packs but from that experience I doubt it!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-15-2013, 04:14 PM

ib me is on a distinguished road

I don't know if this will help or not I have been from vest to backpack & back. I settled on a sling pack form patagona for a lot of my fishing.It will carry more than I can use & do it with comfort.I have a chest pack from fishpond that I use when chasing Brookies in the Mt. its does the job very well.I have a med size double box,a small box,leader,forceps,& nippers & still have some room.I also have a Willy j chest pack that is a little larger it also does a good job. If I had to pick one pack for my fishing.it would be a toss up.The Willy J lays closer to the chest than the fishpond & both hold a lot of gear.
Dennis