The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 03:26 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default Embarrassing confession

I have no clue what a furled leader is. I keep seeing posts about them and suddenly realized I need to do some research soooooooooooo. Enlighten me folks!
Old 08-15-2013, 03:56 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Embarrassing confession

There are two types of multifilament leaders, braided and furled.

Braided leaders have sections of braided monofilament line tied together that provide the tapering such as a section of 50 lb braided mono tied to the next section of 30 lb braided monofilament line.

Click the image to open in full size.

Furled leaders also have several sections containing multiple filaments of line that taper. However these sections are not separate individual lines that are tied together. Rather they are a single thread or line that is looped on round pegs multiple times so they interlock, and then twisted so that the twists hold the sections together. The number of loops of thread determine the tapering. Furling refers to the "rolling" or twisting of the line around itself.

http://opff.org/furled-leader/furled_leader.html

A Case for the Furled Leader | MidCurrent
oarfish, mridenour, nick k and 1 others like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 08-15-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Being a saltwater guy i have never used one or seen one. What are they used for? I always use hand tied home made leaders mainly because I am to cheap to by tapered ones. Do they have an advantage over tapered or hand tied?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:53 PM

Silver, as always my friend you a living fishing encyclopedia! Now come this question: how do they perform verses you usual mono leader for fishing say, 8-15 inch trout on a medium stream?
Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Great response, Silver.
As far as being on the water, furled leaders have improved my casting accuracy, and turn dry flies over for a much better presentation. I'm not the world's most technical caster, and furled leaders really help. They also have showed an improved lifespan versus tapered leaders. For me, well worth the money.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:18 PM

greg_h is on a distinguished road

Furled leaders for trout are usually made from tying thread, so they do need to be treated with floatant, and although synthetic, it helps to let them try thoroughly (and possibly washed) after use.
The end has a small loop to which you attach your tippet.
The advantage is that they have no memory and don't kink or twist, since they are essentially a very fine mult-strand rope. Turn-over and presentation of small flies is improved. Even though I don't have patience for them, two of my fishing buddies swear by them.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:13 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor fly View Post
I have no clue what a furled leader is. I keep seeing posts about them and suddenly realized I need to do some research soooooooooooo. Enlighten me folks!
There's a whole website dedicated to furled leaders:

Furled Leaders - Login

You can find more info about furled leaders and how to make them than you ever thought existed.

A somewhat shorter piece is here: http://opff.org/furled-leader/furled_leader.html
siege likes this.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:48 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor fly View Post
Thanks for asking. Was too lazy to ask myself and what I did look at on the web didn't tell me much. I assumed they were just the newest fad where you hear about the "plus-es" but never about the tradeoff to get those "plus-es".
Old 08-16-2013, 10:30 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

All good stuff above so I'll just add a couple of extra thoughts. At the end of a cast a FL will lay out as straight as a yard stick. You do want to get the kind that have a small 'tippet ring' at the bottom end. Want to change out that short section of 'regular leader'' you add to the end? Just snip it off and put on a new run.

The second point is FL's are very rod weight specific in their build. A very light one (just number's here so don't quote me) would be for a 1 to a 3 weight rod. A medium for a 3 to 5, and so on. I even use FL's on 2hander rods; works a treat.

Fred
Old 08-16-2013, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the information everyone! Now the challenge is to buy a few for my 4 wt and 5 wt!