The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By MoscaPescador
  • 1 Post By Eddie O'Neill
  • 1 Post By wannafish
  • 1 Post By siege
  • 1 Post By nick k
  • 1 Post By baseman1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 06:33 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice
Default First time

Hi folks I am taking a friend fly fishing for the first time tomorrow morning and wondered if a 5wt or 7 wt would be a better fit for a first time out.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 08-15-2013, 07:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time

Let the person use the rod that suits the conditions the best.

Dennis
Eddie O'Neill and baseman1 like this.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:53 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Let them try both, whatever suits the conditions on the day. I would suggest that they might get on better with #7, easier, more feel when the rod loads, IMHO of course. Enjoy the day and hopefully another covert
baseman1 likes this.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:32 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

A friend I was trying to convert was flailing away with a cheap floppy Walmart special so I loaned him my 6wt fast action and I used his rod. He couldn't believe the difference because it fit his casting stroke so much better. I told him fishing time was too precious to waste it on a crappy rod. "well...(he says) YOU gave me that rod!" Then I remembered
baseman1 likes this.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:36 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

Put together the outfit you would use, considering the conditions you expect to see on this fishing trip. Then give that outfit to your friend to use. Spend more time coaching and mentoring than you do fishing. Can you enable and empower your friend to catch more fish than you ? That would be a great day for both of you. It will pay dividends long term.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:40 AM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Thanks for the pointers everyone.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:52 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Not sure why no one has asked what you are fishing for yet. If it is small - average sized trout, give him the 5. Most people aren't as terrible on their first time as you would think. There are disadvantages to using a 7 when a 5 is really the right tool.

If you are going to give him a first impression of the sport, you might as well make it realistic. If he does end up catching a fish, he will have a lot more fun with the 5 and be a lot more likely to want to pursue it further. I don't believe that even beginners would have trouble using a 5wt for trout flies.
rccola712 likes this.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:58 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

What are the specs on the rods you have to offer him? I would take both and get them started on the 7wt. If and when he or she starts to get frustrated switch them over to the 5wt. The 5wt will feel so much lighter and smoother to them it may just be the refresher they need to get back after it.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:16 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

I disagree. Why would you start someone with something you know will not feel as satisfying. You aren't trying to trick someone into liking the sport here, you are trying to give them a realistic representation of what its all about and let them decide for themselves if they enjoy it.

You wouldn't teach someone to play football with a ball twice the normal size, or a basketball. Give him the most appropriate and normal tool, and leave the rest to him.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:48 PM

We had a great morning. He tried them both and just couldn't get the rhythm down and I assured him it is something that takes some time. He is talking about getting his own rig sometime soon. He didn't catch any fish but still enjoyed the peacefulness of nature.
wannafish likes this.