The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 09:40 PM

Location: Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)
pikefisher69 has a spectacular aura aboutpikefisher69 has a spectacular aura about
Default Montana Trip Finished!

This was an incredible trip! I got to catch trout that would actually bend my rod and fight really well. It started from Port Washington, WI and the first stop was the driftless area.

Click the image to open in full size.
I stopped at the Timber Coulee river, where I picked off a real nice brown for Wisconsin
We then drove nonstop to Bismark, North Dakota and from there we went to Red Lodge, Montana. From Red Lodge we went up the Beartooth Highway (it was incredible) to Yellowstone.

Beartooth Highway scenery
A yellowstone bison
A rapid in Yellowstone

After that we finally arrived in Missoula, MT. I climbed Mount Sentinel and the view was awesome. [
IMG]http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/photos/data/500/photo-13.JPG[/IMG]
The next day we had a guided trip done by the Grizzly Hackle fly shop (I highly recommend them) on the North Fork Blackfoot River and another smaller creek

Those were the Blackfoot pictures.

When we went to the other creek we got followed by a goat everywhere we went. It was just freaky. The goat even peed in its own mouth Once that happened we decided to leave and would you know it, it followed us back up the highway to our car.
(Me with the goat)

Now it's time to see the fish!
These are all my catches.
That I believe sums it up. For all the fish I used hopper/dropper and double nymph rigs. The cutthroat trout were beautiful and so was the scenery! If you ever get the opportunity to go to Montana to go fly fishing, TAKE IT! I don't know why the pictures showed up the way they did, but it doesn't bother me too much. There were more fish caught, just not documented.

The possibly most memorable part of the guided trip is that I hooked into an about 12" whitefish and as I was fighting it, a bull trout that must've been 32" swallowed the whitefish and I fought I for about 30 minutes before it overpowered me and my tippet and it broke off

Last edited by mcnerney; 08-16-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:53 PM

swimmy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First Trip to Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikefisher69 View Post
The possibly most memorable part of the guided trip is that I hooked into an about 12" whitefish and as I was fighting it, a bull trout that must've been 32" swallowed the whitefish and I fought I for about 30 minutes before it overpowered me and my tippet and it broke off
Ahh the ole Blackfoot upgrade. Not the first time I've heard this story.

Glad you enjoyed your time here.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like an awesome trip, congrats!

Larry

Old 08-16-2013, 01:56 PM

pikefisher69 has a spectacular aura aboutpikefisher69 has a spectacular aura about

Thank You!
Old 08-16-2013, 01:59 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I love Montana! It is my third favorite state. Great report and pics.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:05 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Nice trip ... you gotta watch out fer them wild fisher goats though!

Did you wade the NF with the guide or float it down into the big Blackfoot? That is one sweeeeet trip, if you did the float. Who was your guide? Nice little bull trout, too.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:34 PM

Dean, I waded the NF Blackfoot with a guide. It was beautiful and lots of big fish. My guides name was Matt, and I can't remember the last name. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great trip and....report thanks for sharing
Old 08-16-2013, 03:16 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic report.

My memory of Rock Creek outside of Missoula is being trapped by a moose down stream and one upstream so I could not move in either direction. The guide and my friend were hiding behind the guide's truck. I was on the other side of the river and could not reach them so I just hid in the brush until the moose moved on.

Montana is such a huge state. I've fished the Missoula region as well as the Missouri at Craig, Yellowstone Park, the Bighorn River when it first opened up, and of course my favorite, the Madison.

I hope you get to go every year. Every river seems to be perfect until you fish the next one.
mcnerney, kglissmeyer1 and yonder like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-16-2013, 03:46 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikefisher69 View Post
Dean, I waded the NF Blackfoot with a guide. It was beautiful and lots of big fish. My guides name was Matt, and I can't remember the last name. Thanks!
Good to hear. This is the time of the year for the NF, it runs so cold that it takes till the heat of summer to get the fish active. I've never had much luck in the lower section, assuming that you were near Ovando.

It is an amazingly beautiful stream. I might have to make that trek next weekend.