The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 06:44 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Most Embarrasing Fishing Story

Mine? I caught a Manatee (though I think the Bastiage planned it, I swear I saw Al Sharpton hiding behind a bush). It was in front of the Port of the Islands Marina about halfway between Everglades City and Naples in Fl.. I was fishing a weighted clouser on a sink tip ten weight for tarpon.

Meanwhile, on the dock, a gaggle of tourists had just boarded a pontoon boat for, you guessed it, a manatee viewing tour as the sea cows flock into the Faka-Union canal for the fresh water and warmer temps. So there I am, working my #2 clouser and, and Bam! I'm hooked up. So I set up hard, thinking its a late season tarpon. The reel starts to pay out in steady clicks. Ok, says I, no Tarpon, maybe a goliath grouper or a shark. I'm on the bow of my skiff working the trolling motor with my knees trying to keep up and getting about halfway into the backing. The tour boat is following, with the guide giving a play by play of the fight. Right. No pressure, just follow the fish.

Then it surfaces, a manatee with my clouser in its head. Christ! I quickly broke it off, while the guide is talking about the damage done to manatees by anglers and boat owners. I felt like Chris Rock at a Klan rally. I decided that even though it was only 8 am it was time for a beer.

Your entries?
Old 08-16-2013, 08:48 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future
Default Re: Most Embarrasing Fishing Story

Pelican. Big honkin' pelican. I was about 14 years old and fishing from the Haulover Pier in Miami. We are 30 feet above the water, and I toss out a live shrimp on a 2/0 long shank hook. This ginormous pelican dives in for my bait, so naturally I try to jerk it away from that huge beak. YUP. I snagged him in the wing joint. Did you ever see a gas powered model airplane flying around on a teather line ? It looked just like that. Fifty people lining both sides of the pier, diving down to the filthy deck to avoid the crazy bird flying around in circles, as I frantically tried to keep from being flapped to death while attempting to get to my tackle box for a knife.
I finally got the line cut, and big bird took off trailing 50 feet of braided dacron.
I packed my stuff up and left. It was a long time before I went back there, and a few of the regulars still remembered the episode. But by then, it had become funny. To them, not so much to me.
mcnerney and calftail like this.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:50 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

Oh, I've had a lot of embarrassing moments fishing, but right now this is the one that stands out...

It's April in Montana, and a good friend is driving through and wants to stop and visit for a day. I know he's a fly fisherman and is almost never without his gear, so I suggest we do a float trip on the Yellowstone in my raft. Early that morning, before he arrives, I check the weather report. It's calling for clear skies and the famous wind forecast, "30-40 mph winds with gusts up to 50 mph". However, that's for Livingston, and often the river upstream in Paradise Valley isn't as windy. So I figure we'll still try the float.

We put in about 9 AM at Pine Creek. The wind isn't bad, maybe blowing 15 mph, but an ominous sign which I'd forgotten to take into account was that the wind forecast was for those winds blowing from the NNE. Which is right up Paradise Valley. And sure enough, the wind is blowing straight upstream. Which isn't too bad because it's allowing us to slow down and fish a lot of runs thoroughly from the raft. It's all good and we're catching fish, until about 11 AM, when the wind starts to pick up. By noon it's really honking, blowing so hard that I sometimes have to turn the raft around and row as hard as I can just to make headway in the slower parts of the river.

Time for lunch. We pull into a gravel bar on an inside bend, with a big, deep pool adjacent. The wind is blowing so hard we decide to go up into the brush on the upper part of the bar to eat just to get some relief from it. I pull the raft up to where it's actually resting on the rocks in inches of water, and throw out the 40 pound anchor onto dry gravel.

We eat, and then come out of the brush, to find the raft has been blown into the river, and is basically floating in circles in a big eddy, with current pushing it downstream and wind pushing it upstream, and it's basically going nowhere. It's all the way across the river, in water that's about as deep as it gets on the Yellowstone. Yep, I sure know how to show a friend a good time on the Yellowstone!

We watch it for a while, hoping that something happens to blow it to where we can reach it, but nothing is happening. I'm just thinking about stripping off to swim to it in the 45 degree water when a driftboat comes around the bend, and the guide tows it over to us.

I now make sure I drag the anchor 15 feet up onto the bar when I stop to eat lunch on a windy day!
mcnerney, swampdonkey and calftail like this.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:52 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Bemis and I headed north right after work for Saratoga in his Ford rigged with a Mitchell overhead and made it to the North Platte right at dark.The ole man wanted to get right at it and he rigged his Garcia 300 and Wonder Rod and insisted..."let's go". I grabbed a beer and the flashlight and said "I'll watch...you fish".

We made it to the river and it was lights out and totally dark. Bemis started casting and worked at it for 15 min....."here you try, I need a beer". I pocketed my empty can and reluctantly took over and winged a cast high and hard out over the river. I started a slow retrieve as we jabbered back and forth about all the "big ones" caught at night. Wham !...something gave me a hell of a tug. I yanked hard back on the rod. Bemis:" you got one"? "Hell yeah" I said and the drag on the reel started to scream as I pumped to get some line back.

After a few minutes of pumping and retrieving I told the ole man "you take it, it's your rig and I can't seem to get it under control. Bemis took the rod. He pumped and the drag grunted and he cranked the handle to regain line. He complained " I can't gain on him". I said "tighten the drag". He did and gave the rod the butt. I could barely see him in the dark but heard his desperate grunt and "Son of a *****". the line snapped.

Day break, Bemis and I went back to the river's edge and the spot where the "big one" got away. I looked at the ole man and he looked at me and we both turned our heads back out across the river and stared at his # 4 Mepps spinner dangling 2 feet below a 1" river crossing cable.

I went upstream and Bemis headed downstream. Laughing to ourselves.
mcnerney and littledavid123 like this.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:02 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I've told this one before so I'll make it short! Scuba Diver in Curaçao from the beach! Great fight almost a bigger fight when he surfaced with the fly stuck in him! I don't feel guilty though he had no marker or flag where he was and there was no way of knowing in the chop that he was there. Really thought I had the big fish of the trip !
mcnerney, krikau27 and zum like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-18-2013, 12:14 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

My daughter was about 4 or 5, and I was attempting to get her interested in fishing before her mother's "save all living things" influence had her hopelessly brainwashed.

We were in a little tin boat or a canoe in Key Largo, and I'd pinched down the barb on her hook, baited it up, and she quickly caught a little snapper and was very excited.

I was paying more attention to her than the fish, and next thing I know, the little vampire had snapped onto my thumb, driving its fangs through my thumbnail, trying to mesh with the ones coming up from below.

Being in the stern, of course, I had to move forward so I could turn around and sit on the cross support , without letting go of the snapper or he'd have started flopping and increased the agony more.

Then I had to somehow surreptiously get at my knife and cut his head off without hurting him or causing him to bleed, then pry his jaws apart, to get my thumb back, and release him (both halves) without my daughter suspecting he had been hurt in any way.

All the while my daughter was jabbering, "What are you doing daddy? Is he still on your thumb?" Etc Etc.

Finally, with the mission accomplished I turned back around (probably sucking my thumb) and she said "Is that his blood Daddy or yours?"

So relieved to have the fangs out of my thumb, and the fish successfully "released" I hadn't even noticed the significant amout of red on my shirt and pants.

"I think a little of both, Sweethart".
theboz likes this.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:58 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Jims story reminded me of something that happened when I was young(so I guess I had more than one embarrassing moment!)! Thursday thru Sunday I mated on a charter boat out of Montauk . Stayed with two other mates in a little shack by the docks and generally got in more trouble than you probably should. Saturday and Sunday nights even though we had work at 4am we would either go to the bar or get on one of the party boats to win the pool for drinking money.
The key to winning pool money on party boats is position on the boat(chum flow) lots of people entered and speed fishing to get the most fish to cull through for a pool winner. On one particular Saturday night one of the boats had a full load (of people) and I was in a prime spot to make some good quick cash. It was a night bluefish trip and while the majority of the customers were using chunks(cut bait) for the blues my buddy and I were diamond jigging(using a heavy spoon type lure) to maximize our fish count and have a better shot at winning the pool!
Things went well and we were hauling in big choppers as fast as we could get the big jigs back down and were out fishing theorist of the boat probably three to one! But then it happened my jig got snagged ! No way I have to keep on pulling fish ! Oh s--t the snag is moving !! Must have a big Bass and probably the pool winner! Crank crank gain 2 feet lose a foot this thing was ridiculous! And then it hits the surface WHAT THE HECK IS THAT!!
2 mates 2 gaffs and up it comes 75 lbs of the ugliest looking monstrosity you've ever seen an Angler fish! Short body head like a garbage can big tentacle coming out of it's head mouth like a trash receptacle and worst of all Not Eligible for the Pool! And even worse yet my one and only diamond jig is in his throat !! Mates and my buddy can't get the jig out ! Ok hold my rod I'll get it out , every time go to get it he clamps that garbage can mouth shut like a steel trap! No problem I'll put my boot in the lower jaw hold the top jaw open with my hand and with my other hand reach in and get the diamond jig!
Great plans don't always work! My foot slips ends up on his mouth alongside the diamond jig! Now I got my free foot on his head trying to pull my swallowed foot out of his mouth! And out it comes with my rubber deck boot still in his mouth! So now I'm sitting on the deck one shoe on one in his mouth and I realize I have an audience(about half the people on my side of the boat) thoroughly enjoying the show.
Well gotta get my boot and more important gotta get my jig so with the biggest knife on the boat I proceed to cut off the head of the beast and pull my boot and jig out backwards( his jaws never opened!)!
This effectively cleared the crowd put my bloody boot on retie my jig and went back to my quest to win the pool!

Did I win the pool ?
No my friend did and he bought drinks the next nite and I had enough Angler fish to eat for the rest of the summer! And it's good too!
Rip Tide likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-18-2013, 05:48 AM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road

Bragging about how perfect my hook sets are and as I am reaching down to remove the fly from my latest hookup the fly comes loose as i lift the fish to the surface and I perfectly set nice big hopper through my own upper lip... It needed to be cut out at the hospital as the fly was so perfectly set... This happened at about 8am and I made the situation worse by deciding the fishing was just to hot to leave and chose to fish the entire day with a hopper lip ring. Every time anyone hooked into a fish for the rest of the day I would hear someone yell how right I am that their hook set just cant complete with the one I currently have... I even got a few text messages...
Old 08-18-2013, 08:07 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Boz, I'm still laughing. I can picture the whole thing - well done!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:19 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Boz, I'm still laughing. I can picture the whole thing - well done!
Indeed. That's hard core. Beheading a behemoth and walking around the rest of the night covered in its blood. Its a great way to sort out the men from the tourists.