The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 12:45 AM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Fly Tieing Books

I got a beginners guide, but have found that I have grown out of it. What are some more advanced books that are recomended? I'm looking more for big fish flies, streamers, and maybe salt flies. Thanks
Old 02-08-2008, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Tieing Books

Take a look at 'The flytiers benchside referrence'.
It will show you many, many different techniques for all sorts of flies, it's not an inexpensive book by any means, but you will refer to it for the rest of your days.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-08-2008, 06:14 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Try mastering the art of fly tying by G. Randolph Erskine I got this book for christmas and it seems pretty good i have tied several flys with it but have not had a chance to fish them yet due to fridgid temps. It gives a 160 different recipes with step by step pics. I also have a book called handbook of hatches which is very helpful too.
Jim
Old 02-08-2008, 08:19 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

saltwater fly patterns by lefty---bass and panfish by tom keith, fly tier pattern bible by fly tyer magazine(672 flies) saltwater flys(700) by deke myers..to name a few...I have a book with over 10,000 patterns listed...(perraults standard dictionary of fishing flies) ..along with dozens more...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-08-2008, 09:53 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Hey MrEsox
I just read your profile and it looks like you will be bass and panfishing more often I have a book called tying warmwater flys that may fit what you are looking for a little better. There are some very good internet sites with lots of recipes just google fly tying lots of free info out there. I like collecting old fly fishing and tying books so dont be afraid to get used ones on ebay lots of good old books out there too.
Jim
Old 02-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Hi MrEsox,
There are two books that in my circle of fly tying friend suggest for the type of flies that you are looking into. Here they are:

Clousers Flies

Modern Streamers For Trophy Trout

Although, the last title suggest Trout most of the patterns if not all will work for warmwater species as well.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 02-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi MrEsox,

I am with Terry on the Clouser book. There is also a new DVD out with Bob Clouser and Lefty Kreh that is definitely a winner. I would want this DVD even if I never tyed any streamers. A lot of basic information besides how to tye the two greatest streamers of the modern time. The Clouser minnow and Lefty's Deceiver.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Never go wrong with anything from Bob Clouser or Lefty. If Frank doesn't mind I would like to add one more name to the mix, the old Taxi driver Jack Gartside.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-09-2008, 12:29 AM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the info on the books. I have picked up 2 Clouser minnows and have read many good things about them. Up here when they are running, we get some really hot Cutthroat. Mostly they are caught from a boat and the Clouser minnow is the #1 fly used. I myself have not had a chance to head out after them, but I hear it is really some good action. I will look into the books listed and see what I find. Thanks again