The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 03:35 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all
Default Re: Better water carry ideas wanted

I've carried one of these for years and a plastic water bottle. Lite weight and if your fishing, there is water. MSR® MiniWorks® Microfilter : Cabela's
Old 08-17-2013, 03:38 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
I've carried one of these for years and a plastic water bottle. Lite weight and if your fishing, there is water. MSR® MiniWorks® Microfilter : Cabela's
I've used one for years as well while back packing. They are a reliable filter (I ain't dead yet) and screw onto a Nalgene bottle. I'd second that recommendation. But, I've never tried a steripen either.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:54 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

I don't trust electronic stuff that much, but that's me, not what you want.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:37 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

All filters require so much care especially between uses. I gave up on them. I doubt many folks even know about the risk of not sterilizing the filtering element.

Do you sterilize the MSR ceramic element every 7 days? Do you air dry for a minimum for 3 days. Do you sterilize before each trip? Do you bring a spare ceramic element on long trips? Do you use MSR Aquatabs to sterilize against viruses?

Way too much care for me.

Additionally, both the MSR and the Steripen have been tested and verified. MSR provides this reference:

http://practicaloutdoors.com/files/a...rminiworks.pdf

Steripen provides 19 laboratory reports on effectiveness.

http://www.steripen.com/micro-biological-testing/

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 08-17-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Business Member

taylorreels will become famous soon enoughtaylorreels will become famous soon enough

I use a Katadyn MyBottle and it is the best. It is a water purification bottle which means I don't need to carry water, because I can drink straight out of the river. I have been using it for a while and have never had any problems! They are amazing.

Taylor Reels

Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:50 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Please remember with most water purifier systems, if you dip the bottle in the water, and purify the contents, you still have what may be contaminaed water on the outside of the bottle, and the rim.
If the bottle does not have a built in straw, carry one.. I bought a filter bottle as a scoutmaster going on a 50 mile hike. The boys all used one, and nobody ever got sick. That was a long time ago, and technology is even better now. Use whatever style you prefer, but be careful of cross contamination.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:58 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I just had to chuckle. It is bit ironic that I read that on my computer.

No disrespect meant. It just struck me as funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
I don't trust electronic stuff that much, but that's me, not what you want.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-17-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I just had to chuckle. It is bit ironic that I read that on my computer.

No disrespect meant. It just struck me as funny.
It actually is. Most and mine included are basically junk waiting to malfunction. I certainly don't trust it to really accomplish anything.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:48 PM

ib me is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the input. I had thought about the MSR micro filter but after the video I will pass. The more I hear & about the Steripen the more I like it. I believe that is the way I will go.
Thanks Again for helping make my pack a little lighter
Dennis
Old 08-17-2013, 08:47 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I get by with a collapsible platypus slim profile bottle that holds only 5oz. That's when I'm not going far maybe 2 mile trip with backup water in car. Longer trips on hot days I take water bladder in Simms half day pack and attachable hip/chest pack.

There are water bottles called xstream that have carbon filter built in. I've seen guys scoop water right out of lake or stream and drink it. No problems.

I got a couple of those and gave me to parents on case hurricane made things bad for them.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com