The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 10:17 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Better water carry ideas wanted

I stuff usually a nalgene bottle of water and a large Gatorade in my waders. I too would like to hear what others are doing...

Randy
Old 08-18-2013, 09:01 AM

freak is on a distinguished road

I take one of these....21oz Standard Mouth Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Tactical Line Hydro Flask | Hydro Flask ... It keep ice for 8+hrs in 90 deg and one of these http://www.cascadedesigns.com/platyp...bottle/product
Old 08-18-2013, 10:17 AM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 will become famous soon enough

Sawyer Squeeze filter is about the lightest, non-electronic, non-chemical option. Weighs about 3 oz. I've had Steripen fail me. I'm an ultralight hiker and this is what I use. Look about 1/3 of the way down the page.
http://www.sawyer.com/water.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 08-18-2013, 10:53 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Depending on how long the fishing trip it looks like I've used nearly all the options listed so far. However, you seem to be asking about a day trip, so weight and bulk are the main issues. I have both a Steri-Pen and the Sawyer squeeze Filter, and if I had to pick one, I'd probably take the Sawyer. The reason I say that is although I like the Steri-Pen, it has a couple of drawbacks. One, is the constant need to carry extra batteries. The Pen goes through batteries pretty quickly (about every 1.5 gal). Two, the process of purifying the water is more involved: collect water, filter large contaminants, get Pen out, activate and stir slowly for 60 seconds, put Pen away.

With the Sawyer, you just squeeze; you can actually squeeze clean water right into your mouth.

Finally, whatever system you choose, I'd get the thing from REI. You can't beat their return policy, and as these things tend to be pricey, if something goes bad, you'll want that safety net.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 08-18-2013, 12:42 PM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold

Outside the box a little......pun intended....
A juice box or foilpack ( like Capri Sun ) will go right in your shirt pocket or pack, vest etc.
On a short wade, a quick drink and a Cliff bar can be mighty refreshing and provide a little energy boost. No heavy empties to carry.
Longer walks ? See all the answers above
Old 08-18-2013, 02:14 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
Depending on how long the fishing trip it looks like I've used nearly all the options listed so far. However, you seem to be asking about a day trip, so weight and bulk are the main issues. I have both a Steri-Pen and the Sawyer squeeze Filter, and if I had to pick one, I'd probably take the Sawyer. The reason I say that is although I like the Steri-Pen, it has a couple of drawbacks. One, is the constant need to carry extra batteries. The Pen goes through batteries pretty quickly (about every 1.5 gal). Two, the process of purifying the water is more involved: collect water, filter large contaminants, get Pen out, activate and stir slowly for 60 seconds, put Pen away.

With the Sawyer, you just squeeze; you can actually squeeze clean water right into your mouth.

Finally, whatever system you choose, I'd get the thing from REI. You can't beat their return policy, and as these things tend to be pricey, if something goes bad, you'll want that safety net.

Peace.
Interesting comparison between those two system. The Sawyer looks intriguing based on how small it packs down and is noticeably cheaper. How often do you replace the filters on the Sawyer and how do you know when they need to be replaced?
Old 08-18-2013, 02:20 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The reason I say that is although I like the Steri-Pen, it has a couple of drawbacks. One, is the constant need to carry extra batteries. The Pen goes through batteries pretty quickly (about every 1.5 gal). Two, the process of purifying the water is more involved: collect water, filter large contaminants, get Pen out, activate and stir slowly for 60 seconds, put Pen away.
Peace.
Do you have the lithium powered Steripen? My batteries are on their second year.

If a lithium unit is wearing out batteries that quickly, I would return it to Steripen. It is definitely defective.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-18-2013, 07:10 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
Sawyer Squeeze filter is about the lightest, non-electronic, non-chemical option. Weighs about 3 oz. I've had Steripen fail me. I'm an ultralight hiker and this is what I use. Look about 1/3 of the way down the page.
Sawyer® Products - Water Filtration, Insect Repellent, Sunscreens and More

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
MAD, if you don't mind, what was the failure you had with the Steripen?

Mike.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

Quote:

Peace.
I went to REI today and purchased the Sawyer on their recommendation because of ease of use. I went with the intent of purchasing the Steripen but changed my mind. Almost all of my research focused on the Steripen device so I came home and did some reading on the Sawyer. What I found is that the Sawyer does not address "Viruses", which is of concern to me. Any thoughts on this aspect?

Viruses – Backcountry Drinking Water

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:53 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I've used Katadyn since Katrina.
Products - Katadyn Products Inc.
I have the old-school-looking ExStream. Though they kept the guts the same they've updated the bottle to keep up with todays style.
Thankfully I was nowhere near Katrina but at the time these were scarce because of their use down there. That right there should speak a lot to the effectiveness of this system.
I like carrying nothing but an empty bottle when fishing. Dipping the bottle in cold, fresh water for a drink is great but the best part is discovering that each watershed has its own unique flavor and taste. Maybe it's just luck but I've yet to encounter a nasty tasting river.
Batteries not included because they need none.

Knowing my drinking system handled all of the leading causes of water born illnesses was of such comfort that I never had doubts that my water was safe. Back when I got the Katadyn other filters were available that didn't provide the all-around protection. If yours can't block viruses you might get lucky but you'll probably always have doubt.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:34 PM

trouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura about

You should carry your water in the same container that you carry your Burbon.
🙈🙉🙊
Cheers,
Roger