The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all
Default Re: Better water carry ideas wanted

I use the Katadyn Pump Style water filter. I have been using the same filter (I have changed the cartridges a couple of times) for many years. I have pumped water from gin clear creeks to nasty brown trickles during high mountain elk hunting trips. The Filter has never failed me. It is a little heavier than some of the "new & improved" systems out there, but it is bomb proof. No batteries, nearly indestructible. Something about drinking from the very water you are fishing ads to the overall experience. After this past trip I posted about, search “Amazing Idaho Back Country Trip”, the guy I was with went out the day we returned an bought his own Katadyn at the local REI. He was so impressed with the ease and the operation. Just my two cents,

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 08-18-2013, 10:56 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

I carry a nalgene with cold water, and if that runs out I have this in my vest:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:50 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Do you have the lithium powered Steripen? My batteries are on their second year.

If a lithium unit is wearing out batteries that quickly, I would return it to Steripen. It is definitely defective.
No, I don't have the lithium version. I do use lithium batteries in the one I do have, which does last longer (maybe 4 gal), but I still carry an extra set of batts on every trip.

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
MAD, if you don't mind, what was the failure you had with the Steripen?

Mike.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

I went to REI today and purchased the Sawyer on their recommendation because of ease of use. I went with the intent of purchasing the Steripen but changed my mind. Almost all of my research focused on the Steripen device so I came home and did some reading on the Sawyer. What I found is that the Sawyer does not address "Viruses", which is of concern to me. Any thoughts on this aspect?

Viruses – Backcountry Drinking Water

Cheers,
Mike.
This is from the article you posted:

"Even in contaminated water, viruses tend to clump together or with inorganic or organic particles that often settle to the bottom of lakes and ponds. While these viruses are still active, they are trapped in bottom sludge so drinking water taken from the top is much less likely to be contaminated."

I have never had an issue using the Sawyer system, and I believe that as long as you don't collect water from near the bottom, your risk is minimal. Anyway, I always collect my water, regardless of the system I use, from the top third of the water column.

As to how long the filter is supposed to last, I can't remember off-hand, but I believe it's several hundred gallons.

I just went to Sawyer's site, they claim not number of gallons but years of use. Their claim is up to ten years. also, they do sell a version that does remove viruses; no idea the cost of that.

One last thing: I just remembered that the one concern with the system is freezing temps. If the filter actually freezes, it will crack. Which is where the Steri-Pen comes in for me.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 08-19-2013, 07:31 AM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 will become famous soon enough

Chi, my Steripen simply quit working in the field. Fortunately, I always carry a few purification tablets as back-up, no matter what primary system I use. I know several folks that have had the same experience, while others are happy with theirs (for now).

I have used Sawyers for decades with complete satisfaction. The Squeeze is simply their lastest and lightest. If you are in the USA, viruses in the water are not a real concern. However, overseas in 3rd world countries, that is a different matter and I have a Sawyer purifier the removes viruses, but it is bulky, heavy and requires a prime.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:33 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Better water carry ideas wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouton View Post
You should carry your water in the same container that you carry your Burbon.
������
Cheers,
Roger
Woozie! A good single malt whisky. Burbon is spelt: 'whiskey.'
Old 08-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorreels View Post
I use a Katadyn MyBottle and it is the best. It is a water purification bottle which means I don't need to carry water, because I can drink straight out of the river. I have been using it for a while and have never had any problems! They are amazing.

Taylor Reels

Click the image to open in full size.
I'm late coming to this topic but have the first generation Katadyn bottle and love it. I have drank almost every river & creek I fished since 2003. Can't go wrong with this product

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-03-2013, 11:45 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road

Another option is the LifeStraw. I carry one in my backpack for emergencies. Have yet to use it but it has great reviews and won several awards. At about $20, it's a pretty darn good primary or backup filter. Just a naglene and a LifeStraw and your set.

http://www.basspro.com/LifeStraw-Per...2061210011934/