The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 11:21 AM

ib me is on a distinguished road
Default Better water carry ideas wanted

I carry two big bottles of water while i'm in the Mt. chasing brookie's. They are the heaviest thing in my pack. I'm thinking about a purifier,& would like some input form other blueliners.
Thanks Dennis
Old 08-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Better water carry ideas wanted

I can usually get by with two smaller bottles, but still they are heavy, it will be interesting to see what the others are doing while working small streams in the mtns.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:32 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

I would be interested in something that hangs from the waist and only holds a bottle (or two). Haven't found anything to my liking, so I'm also interested to see the responses.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:45 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

That's what the big back pocket of the Patagucci vest is for. I'm thinking of buying a camel back like bikers use though. Those have insulation and will keep water cold.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:17 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

I use an older Orvis chest pack/backpack. I use a Camelback Hawg bladder in it. Fill it with ice cubes, then water, and it's cold all day. And no heavy bottles to pull your pants down. And you can pack your lunch next to the bladder so it'll stay cold.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:24 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Before my next trip I'm getting a Steripen. I stand in water all day and most of it is darn clear and clean. You have to watch for contaminants so that's where the Steripen comes in to handle that. Empty bottle that's nice and light and water that doesn't get hot from the sun. I've read about them but have never used one. I'm tired of carrying water and especially worrying about running out on hot days. Ill keep carrying my thermos though. Have to have fresh roasted and ground coffee. It's a simple pleasure in life I would not give up no matter the weight. Cup of coffee stream side - absolutely!

Cheers,
Mike
siege likes this.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:48 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
I use an older Orvis chest pack/backpack. I use a Camelback Hawg bladder in it. Fill it with ice cubes, then water, and it's cold all day. And no heavy bottles to pull your pants down. And you can pack your lunch next to the bladder so it'll stay cold.
One of the 'Good Things' about fishing the upper Rogue you're never really that far from your car/truck. So I'll carry one, and leave the other in the transportation. But like Nick above I'll half fill the bottle with water and toss same in the freezer. Next morning its solid as a rock and fill the rest of the thing up with water.

Takes hours, even in real heat, for that thing to 'melt.' But as far as on stream recommendations I'm a mental blank as to the one that I have. Save for one thing: I got it years ago at REI. But when it comes to this sort of stuff, they do not mess around. But they are 'bulky' just by their nature, about the size of a 1 ltr bottle.

Edit: You'll drink off the ice water before the ice actually melts. Just add more water and you're back in business.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:04 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I have used a Steripen, UV purification system for 5 years to purify river water. No ill effects. I am a retired physician and have confidence in this method. It even kills viruses that can go thought traditional water filters.

A physician friend bought one for his daughter who used it in Peru for water purification. 6 months in Peru without any water borne illness. I take mine to Mexico to sterilize my drinking water. In all the years since I bought the very first version of the Steripen, I have never gotten sick from drinking water out of the streams I fish.

I carry an empty Nalgene water bottle and my Steripen. If the water has organic material like leaves, you can filter it through a used clean pair of nylon stockings.

Click the image to open in full size.

I take water additives for flavoring and electrolytes. Many companies make them. So you not only get water but a version of Gatoraid.

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.makeitmio.com/mio-fit

I have since upgraded to the Steripen Adventurer Opti and Gary is using my earlier version.

UV Portable Water Purifier Systems - SteriPEN

Industry Awards | SteriPEN Blog

SteriPEN

See the following reviews

Hiking Poll Results

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: SteriPEN Adventurer Opti Handheld UV Water Purifier Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: SteriPEN Adventurer Opti Handheld UV Water Purifier

Customer Reviews of SteriPEN Traveler Mini Water Purifier

Gear Review: Steripen Adventurer Opti | Backpacker Magazine

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 08-17-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:35 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Silvercreek, didn't you get an opti? If so, you like it better?

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Im going to get one, just havent decided yet. I know the opti uses the 123 batteries which would cost more than the aa model. Fishing last week reminded me how I need this. Carrying water in 90 weather is heavy plus you drink it up quickly. I had to stay in range of the vehicle to get more water.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:04 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I have an Adventurer Opti now. The advantage is that is more compact than the original that used multiple AA batteries. The Opti uses a single CR123 Lithium. Since I always carry a spare battery the entire kit weights less. I do like it better than the original.

To preserve the batteries, remove the CR123 at the end of the fishing season.

The photo was of my original Steripen. I gave that one to Gary.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy