The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 12:27 PM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default 3....THREE for the price of one...a Real fishing story!!!

Ok...so i was out yesterday (August 16) morning fishing the St. Clair River at Sarnia ON. Its about this time that the Chinook and coho start to move closer to the shoreline making them available for catching while wading. Additionally, the brown trout and steelhead start to increase frequency of appearing.

I hit the water by 6am...and was nymphing (as usual). Water was trubid from the north winds (suspended sand) and vis was about 2 feet at best....who knows the vis at about 6' depth. Anyway...the early morning yeilded nothing. About an hour in, I finally have a hook up and bring to the shore, a nice brown about 2 pounds.

Then nothing for some time until the sun is well up. Then the silver bass move in (some call them white perch) and I am having a good time landing silvers.....with numbers landed climbing into the 20's (final tally, well into the 30's caught).

My buddy, a new-to-fly-fishing guy, shows up but is casting cleos (spoons) instead of flies. Then it happens. As I am fighting in yet another silver...I see a wide bronze back come out of the sandy murk and it moves towards me. At first, I think "carp" because of the width....but suddenly, it reveals itself as it suddenly bolts and hammers the little silver...A HUGE MUSKIE!!! Estimated length...about FOUR FEET!!!

I am blown away. Years ago, I experienced this fishing walleyes and pike would hammer them while you were fighting. But this was the first (for me) for a muskie...and not expected in these waters.

Anyway....its not so much a fight anymore...but a drag. That bad boy had his meal...and was not letting go...and I was dragging him closer to shore. My buddy had dropped his stuff and was over TAKING VIDEO!!! (which looks awesome, by the way)...he also was doing commentary.

Fight/drag goes for about 5 minutes as we do the odd give and take as muskie tries to go deep...and I drag him short/shallow. We get him real close and get excellent footage...and its there we notice also...he has about a 9" long lamprey stuck to his side...hence my post title of "3 for the price of one".

In the excitement, my buddy got between me and the muskie and I lost track of the pressure i was exerting and muskie figured enough was enough and he released his death grip on the silver. I pull up the silver and we get video of the damage...the bite mark and chunk missing from the side of the silver. But it aint over yet.

I unhook the silver...and drop it back in. AND INSTANTLY, the muskie is back and again, hammers the silver!!!...then drops into the sandy murk. Buddy and I survey the area and while we can't see the muskie, we can see the silver and it would seem the muskie is content to lie in the shallows while it works the silver...turning is sideways to swallow. We again get footage of it hanging in the shallows. A crazy day...and what an experience!!!

So, I know we can post pics here (though I cannot seem to do it...me=inept)....can we post videos? My bud will be coming up to download the vid off his phone to me computor...and it will be in .mpg format. What will I need to do to get it on?

By the way...the chain is...a size 8 nymph...hooked a 10"-ish silver...which is hammered by a 4 foot-ish muskie...which has attached to it...a 10"-ish lamprey.

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 08-17-2013, 12:53 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 3....THREE for the price of one...a Real fishing story!!!

Sweet! Your buddy should have dropped the camera and gotten a damn net.
I had that happen to me on the first and only Cobia took on the fly. It was on a reef off of Naples and I hooked this small (maybe two and a half to three foot) cobia on a streamer. I'd almost gotten it boated, then BAM! This goliath grouper comes out of nowhere and just inhales the thing. It must have gone two hundred pounds, I swear it needed a license plate, it was that big.

After the echoes of my girlish shriek died away, the fight was on.(I was leaning over the side with a boga grip while this happened, there is a reason you attach a float to your boga grip, dropping it before your arm gets inhaled tops that list) I wanted my Cobia back, and damn the grouper, as you can't keep them anyway. It went on for about twenty minutes until I was wrung out like a dish rag. That grouper was very happy in 40 feet of water and wasn't coming up. I huffed and I puffed, but that ten weight Loomis wasn't having any of it and POP! that was it for the rod. The upside is that I now know that Loomis has an excellent warranty and great customer service.
Sorry you didn't land the big one, but its a damn cool story to tell, and at least it didn't cost you a rod.

PS is there a link to the video?
mridenour and pa cope like this.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:39 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Great stories.

Mine goes back to the early 60's and the Coast Guard. Our normal station (40 footers) was the 'Smith Island Race Track' on the east end of the Straights of Juan de Fuca. Basicly we just putted around in a long oval waiting for 'something to happen.'

Board out of collective skulls so we'd fish, what the hell you're doing 2-3 knots at best (think Salmon). Most fun was a sea mount just south of a couple of major islands. You'd drop your lead/harring to the bottom and just let it sit. Tug-tug and set the hook.

And don't reel in...... you now had real 'bait' for the huge Ling Cod that sat on that thing. TUG-TUGGGGGG! And you'd reel the whole thing up. Never a hook in the big Lings, but you'd better be damned quick with the net. You could easily come back with 40 to 60 pounds of cleaned fish. (Connect the fire hose and wash everything down.)

Guys at the Base loved these 'trips,' we ate very well after one of those.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:47 PM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about

Yeah where is the video? I've had a largemouth try to take a bluegill away before but nothing like that.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbow68 View Post
Yeah where is the video? I've had a largemouth try to take a bluegill away before but nothing like that.
As I said, I 'have' the video but was wondering and asking how to post it here...if I even can.

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:32 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

That's my stompin' grounds until the last decade or so when a move forced me away. Being a rapid fish hunter for my entire life I thought I knew that area. I know I miss it madly but to hear that I missed out in knowing about the salmon, steelhead and brown trout runs really bites!
Every so often we would hear about the sporadic lake run fish but never in numbers worth a chase. Granted, I always fished further down from you in the river itself and in Lake Saint Clair. Had I known about those other fish...
The lake has always been good to us for musky, big panfish and walleye. I remember the worries we had as zebra muscles started filtering the lake. We thought the walleye and musky were going to take a big hit. Instead the smallie population and size just soared.

Please... get that video out to us. you know that if we can't see it, it didn't really happen, right?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:41 PM

quijibo has a spectacular aura aboutquijibo has a spectacular aura aboutquijibo has a spectacular aura about

I believe you have to host the video on YouTube, then you can link to it.
But I"m not 100% on that.

Hope to see the video soon!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:00 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Thats a crazy story. Some of the biggest bass I've caught have been from them taking the sunfish I was after.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:41 PM

Ok...so its been awhile since I first posted this...but my buddy finally came over and downloaded the videos off his phone onto my computer.

So, how can I get it on here?

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:04 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by king joe View Post
Ok...so its been awhile since I first posted this...but my buddy finally came over and downloaded the videos off his phone onto my computer.

So, how can I get it on here?

King Joe Outa Here!
Have a photobucket account you can upload it there then link it here, you can always create an account if you don't great for hosting your web images.

Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing