The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 09:13 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default What's your initial rig?

I know alot of people dont rig their line up until they get to the crick but I'm opposite... I like to have it rigged up and ready to go.

For bass I usually tie on a streamer to start but for trout I just wing it and usually pick something random like a gnat, scud etc...

So anyway, I'm headed out early to the yellow breeches at Allenberry and going to rig up my line tonight. Please post your best recommendations (single or tandem rigs...) and I will pick one post, tie it up and see if I catch anything on it.
Tomorrow I'll reveal whose rig I went with

Here's what is in my box:
Woolly buggers
Prince nymphs - big beadhead, and tiny
All types of caddis - x, goddard, elk, pupa, emergers,micro etc...
Gnats - high viz and micro
Black and cinnamon ants
Hoppers
Scuds
Adams
Drakes
Copper johns
Zebra midges
Brassies
Light cahill

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 08-17-2013, 09:26 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What's your initial rig?

Elk Hair Caddis/ BH Hare's Ear dropper.
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:26 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

Interesting. Lately on my home waters, which have been fairly low and clear the last couple of weeks, I'll start with a conehead white wooly bugger in a size 8 when the sun is out, and something a little bigger and darker when the light is low. This morning the fly of choice was a conehead black marabou muddler in a 6, and it got a good response.

I'm a streamer guy by default ... I'll drift nymphs & soft hackles when the fish won't chase a big meal, but that doesn't happen that often.

One thing I love about that white bugger -- there is no more visible sub-surface fly in the world. You won't miss very many strikes.
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:32 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Elk Hair Caddis/ BH Hare's Ear dropper.
Interesting. I never thought of using a beadhead after a floating/wet fly like that... I normally use them ahead of smaller stuff.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

I'd like to hear more of these combo's. ..

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 08-17-2013, 09:39 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know the water or currents so I'm a bit at a loss. But let's assume a slow flowing trout stream. If I were to rig a generic tandem rig it would be a size 12 or 14 parachute Adams or humpy with a size 16 or 18 bead head prince nymph underneath it tied about six to eight inches back. If you can't catch fish with that, they just aren't biting.
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:40 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I rig my rod just before walking down to the stream. What I tie on kind of depends on the time of year and species I'm fishing for, but I usually start with a confidence or prospecting fly. Once I know what they're keying on or if I'm not having any luck with my starting fly, I'll make some changes.

It's hard to go wrong with a bugger. Swing it, strip it, twitch it, drift it. Looking at a hatch chart or report pays dividends too since you can get an idea of which nymphs in which sizes you will want to use. Once you start to see some activity like hoppers, ants, caddis, mayflies make a move to dries. Oh, and a hopper with ant or hopper with small nymph with or without bead would be on my menu to serve up.

This should help.

Yellow Breeches Creek | Pennsylvania Fly Fishing Reports & Conditions
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I rig my rod just before walking down to the stream. What I tie on kind of depends on the time of year and species I'm fishing for, but I usually start with a confidence or prospecting fly. Once I know what they're keying on or if I'm not having any luck with my starting fly, I'll make some changes.

It's hard to go wrong with a bugger. Swing it, strip it, twitch it, drift it. Looking at a hatch chart or report pays dividends too since you can get an idea of which nymphs in which sizes you will want to use. Once you start to see some activity like hoppers, ants, caddis, mayflies make a move to dries.

This should help.

Yellow Breeches Creek | Pennsylvania Fly Fishing Reports & Conditions
I periodically look at the charts but I was making this a fun thing . The winning rig will offer satisfaction to the right guesser and get to see pics of the fish I catch (if any)

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 08-17-2013, 09:46 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolaeagle View Post
I periodically look at the charts but I was making this a fun thing . The winning rig will offer satisfaction to the right guesser and get to see pics of the fish I catch (if any)
Gotcha. In that case, black bugger gets my vote.
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:59 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

OK, I'll play. Size 12 olive and black wooly bugger.
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:53 PM

trapstar92 is on a distinguished road

Hopper as the top fly, followed 3' by a pheasant tail or copper john, and an rs-2 or midge of some sort! Triple rig!
enolaeagle likes this.