The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 04:27 AM

jaspero is on a distinguished road
Default Tfo mini mag 6-8

Any users using this rod? Very curious about casting distance, since casting from the bank. Would be used for Pike.
Currently use a clouser ten weight, but im very interested in this short rod.
Edit: the sage smallmouth would also be a contender.
Thanks

Last edited by jaspero; 08-18-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:09 AM

kalgrm will become famous soon enoughkalgrm will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tfo mini mag 6-8

I've got both Mini Mags and love them to bits. Love 'em so much, I just bought a second 8-10wt version.

The 6-8 is really an 8wt or 9wt rod though. The sub-title on the label says 200 - 300gn, and by the AFTMA standards, those weights indicate an 8-10wt rod. I usually cast 8 or 9 weight lines on mine.

On the 8-10wt mini mage (300-400gn), I cast heavy "10 to 12wt lines" (Rio OBS 10 and 12wt).

Casting distance is fine. Maybe 20' shorter than with a 9' rod at most. However, the shorter rods feel lighter, so you can cast all day with them.

These rods are my go-to rods from the kayak, but I use them just about everywhere that big fish might be found.

The only way you'll be disappointed with the 6-8wt is if you think you're buying a rod that will load up with a 6wt or 7wt line.

Cheers,
Graeme
mcnerney, bmbailes and mridenour like this.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:34 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Who else makes something like this rod?
Old 08-19-2013, 10:10 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

redington predator, sage bass, bass pro heat...i'm sure theres others. i own the tfo and the predator....both are awesome!
mridenour likes this.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:12 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Thanks, I do a lot of bass fishing for what I call "medium-sized" bass in the 4-8 pound class and I don't have a fly rod that I feel can dig them out of the weeds. I'd like to do some comparison shopping even though I really like my TFO equipment.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:16 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
Who else makes something like this rod?
Who else makes rods that are grossly over/under marked on line weights? Just about everyone.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:20 AM

Oh yeah, that's what I asked. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:32 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Twas a joke.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Twas a joke.
I might be a crab today. I usually greatly appreciated sarcasm and have been the author of much of it.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
I might be a crab today. I usually greatly appreciated sarcasm and have been the author of much of it.
Thats ok. Im a little crabby today myself.
mridenour likes this.