The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By silver creek
  • 1 Post By krikau27
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 01:04 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gary Borger Podcast free for a limited time

On another thread I referred to Gary's recent podcast. Normally for non members, the podcast is made available for only a short time.

The podcast is now available for those that want to listen to it.

http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/po...how_130807.mp3

Fly Fishing - Internet Radio

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gary Borger Podcast free for a limited time

Silver: I listened to it on Thursday, while doing some tying, very interesting episode as you would expect coming from Gary, I highly recommend it.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:14 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Kind of rubs me the wrong way that you otherwise have to pay for it. Not really a podcast then, more like a pay-per-view interview.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:23 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

If you subscribe which is free, you will get the podcasts as they are released. But if you want access to the library of previous podcasts, then you have to join and pay a membership fee.

The library used to be free and through the years, I have saved my own personal copies of all the prior podcasts by subscribing and saving the podcasts as they come out.

Save them to your desktop. Rename then so you know what they are about and save them to a spare external hard drive. External Hard Drives are so cheap, it's an easy way to keep files, photos, movies, etc off your internal HD.
mcnerney likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-24-2013, 01:37 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

Paying for podcasts? If it were a book, then okay, but not podcasts. Celebrity going to ones head.

Kim.
nick k likes this.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:59 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Silver, I'm subscribed through iTunes and look forward to listening. Usually do it driving or jogging but I like Larry's idea of listening while tying.

Not sure the issue around Gary being paid for a service he provides, don't think there is anything that requires podcasts are free. He offers it free if you subscribe and charges a bit to access the archives. If people don't find it worth it they don't have to pay. If enough people don't find it worth it he'll have to reassess. Apparently enough must find what he offers valuable, he does provide great podcasts.

Interesting to think about motivation for doing podcasts. Quality podcasts take time and energy and equipment. I love the Orvis podcast which is offered for free, but it is part of connecting with customers to sell their retail products, that is how they get a paycheck. Harry Murray's would be similar. Other ones I listen to, often through NPR have funding sources including asking for donations, like News from Lake Wobegone, Car Talk, and Intelligence Squared. Trout Unlimited's, I'm sure, is educational and also a way to connect with donors - offer the podcasts to stay on people's radars and build good-will. I have listened to some that seem to be done just for the fun of it, but they are often shorter and of lower quality, both in terms of sound quality and often content.

Found a couple articles: One on ways to make money with podcasts and a Forbes article on the subject. I love getting things for free, but there is nothing wrong with someone who puts a lot of time, effort, and even money into producing a good product looking to get some compensation for his work. I'm thankful he offers an hour + long episode for free.
waterfordcreek likes this.

Last edited by williamhj; 08-24-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:49 PM

Just to clarify, NONE of the people being interviewed gets paid. The subscription is to pay the person who hosts and pays for Ask about Fly Fishing's web site and podcast hosting.

So Gary Borger did not get paid. He actually donated his time and donated his book that was given as a prize.

What Gary gets is an opportunity to give the audience a taste of what is in his book. Hopefully, if they like what they hear, they will buy the book.

The current podcast is ALWAYS free if you subscribe to the podcast via iTunes. However the free subscription does not get you access to the library of previous podcasts. FI you watn unlimited access for the entire library of podcasts, then you have to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Thanks Silver, I'm subscribed through iTunes and look forward to listening. Usually do it driving or jogging but I like Larry's idea of listening while tying.

Not sure the issue around Gary being paid for a service he provides, don't think there is anything that requires podcasts are free. He offers it free if you subscribe and charges a bit to access the archives. If people don't find it worth it they don't have to pay. If enough people don't find it worth it he'll have to reassess. Apparently enough must find what he offers valuable, he does provide great podcasts.

Interesting to think about motivation for doing podcasts. Quality podcasts take time and energy and equipment. I love the Orvis podcast which is offered for free, but it is part of connecting with customers to sell their retail products, that is how they get a paycheck. Harry Murray's would be similar. Other ones I listen to, often through NPR have funding sources including asking for donations, like News from Lake Wobegone, Car Talk, and Intelligence Squared. Trout Unlimited's, I'm sure, is educational and also a way to connect with donors - offer the podcasts to stay on people's radars and build good-will. I have listened to some that seem to be done just for the fun of it, but they are often shorter and of lower quality, both in terms of sound quality and often content.

Found a couple articles: One on ways to make money with podcasts and a Forbes article on the subject. I love getting things for free, but there is nothing wrong with someone who puts a lot of time, effort, and even money into producing a good product looking to get some compensation for his work. I'm thankful he offers an hour + long episode for free.

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

I think you are simply confused about Askaboutflyfishing.com

You don't need to pay to hear the current podcast as I explained above, and Gary did not get paid.

Peace,

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikau27 View Post
Paying for podcasts? If it were a book, then okay, but not podcasts. Celebrity going to ones head.

Kim.

Silver