The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 01:30 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default dremel tool for reel palming

Hi -- I have a couple of old tuna cans that I'd like to dremel for the purpose of "palming" the spool face on the other side of the reel. I've seen some people who've done this successfully, and I have a brand new dremel tool still in the box.

Which "bit" is the most useful for this job, and is it pretty easy and quick?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2013, 01:40 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: dremel tool for reel palming

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Hi -- I have a couple of old tuna cans that I'd like to dremel for the purpose of "palming" the spool face on the other side of the reel. I've seen some people who've done this successfully, and I have a brand new dremel tool still in the box.

Which "bit" is the most useful for this job, and is it pretty easy and quick?

Thanks
'110 points' out of 100. This is the most original question I've ever read on a fishing board. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Fred
Old 08-19-2013, 01:59 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: dremel tool for reel palming

I'm excited too!

I can't wait to use that sucker, hopefully with about 10% of the knowledge required to not hurt myself in the process. Why bother otherwise?
fredaevans likes this.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:22 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Long before I had a Dremel tool, I did mine with a jig saw and a file.
I'll admit that doing the first one was kinda scary as I was sure I was going to ruin the reel, but I soon found that the "custom drag" worked so well that it was natural to do a second.

I got the idea from Lefty's book "Fly Fishing in Salt Water" where he wrote about doing this to a Medalist himself.
I had a chance to speak with Lefty one day about how I had customized my own Medalists and he stared at me like I was nutzz and then changed the subject.

Unless you plan on hooking into some truely large fish, I wouldn't bother doing this to a reel. With a little practice you can easily "finger" the line on click/pawl reels by sticking a finger right inside the spool against the remaining line on the arbor to slow a fish down.
That's how it was always done before "palming rims".

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney, jpbfly, jaybo41 and 3 others like this.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:51 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I can just picture Lefty looking at you like you had two heads! I must have read the same book back then because I attempted to do it with a drill on one of my Martin reels. Total disaster! I remember the first time you posted the custom Medalist pictures I always meant to ask you how you made the cuts. Thanks to turbineblade now I know! But I'm not going to try it with my sawlng skills I'll probably cut the reel in half!
mcnerney likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-19-2013, 05:43 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Jeez, I went out and ate 3 cans of tuna preparing to copy some special trick...LOL
fredaevans, itchmesir and jimp like this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 08-19-2013, 06:34 PM

Oh yeah, I didn't specify that tuna can = martin classic. Sorry!

I like tuna as well -- but I liked it better when it had more dolphin in it .

Neither of the 2 reels I would attempt this on would upset me if I ruined them -- they're just cheapies I got on ebay. I'm still considering it....but Rip's mention of using a finger to slow the spool might work okay too. It's just the carp that I'm worried about .
Old 08-19-2013, 06:42 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

To add to Rip Tide's photos, putting a leather pad between the slot and the spool will save your fingers.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's the article.

Lehigh Valley Limestoner: The Modified Pflueger Medalist.
Hardyreels and baseman1 like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I really like the leather touch Silver!

Gene,

Just be sure you don't dremmel out any MG-3 reels, they are quite valuable. Doing this to any of the other old Martins isn't going to be risky value wise but the MG series are good trout reels already.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-20-2013, 05:25 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Regarding the original question of what bit to use, I think what will work best is to use one of the abrasive discs. You shouldn't have any trouble cutting thru the side of your Martin.

The medalists make life a little easier since the back plate is already ventilated, as opposed to being solid on the Martin. However it probably all works out in the end, the materials used in the medalist is a bit beefier than the Martin, so the martin should make for easier cutting once you get it started.

Even though I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of cutting first and then measuring to see how far off my cut was, you may want to take a good look at the reel before cutting. To be honest, I'm currently too lazy to go dig one out of my piles of stuff, but as I recall, those reels don't have alot of real estate. Are you sure there is enough room to cut a big enough hole to make it at least semi functional. There very well might be plenty of room, I'm just having a hard time picturing it in my somewhat foggy mind.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo