The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold
Default What kind of fish is this

Fished the Housatonic today and caught a huge amount of these
Help What kind of fish is this?
Click the image to open in full size.
Apologies for the photograph quality
Old 08-19-2013, 08:39 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What kind of fish is this

Smallmouth Bass. Did they jump alot? Love catching them!

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Guess you don't see them across the pond!
shotgunfly likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-19-2013, 08:46 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Yup, small mouth, great fighting fish!!

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-19-2013, 09:09 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys, the fish were all around 6" to 8". Pictures I had seen of small mouth bass were much bigger. They did go well for such small fish. A few of them did a fair bit of jumping.
I've never heard of them on my side of the pond.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:27 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

You were missing out on the other side of the pond. Those smallmouth can get much bigger. Pound for pound, I'd be hard pressed to come up with a harder fighting fish. Easily one of my favorite targets on a fly rod.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

smallie.....a great fish indeed!
yonder likes this.

ARFE
Old 08-20-2013, 06:50 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Eddie, I live on the opposite side of the state, but we have a somewhat similar fishery in "my river".
For me, those little immature smallmouth make for great sport on a hot summer day when all you want to do is go stand in the cool water. I've caught as many as 80 in a day on a 3 or 4wt rod.
When I want to catch mature fish, those over 10" in this river, I'll go out at dawn or stay late in the day. I rarely get mature smallmouth during the heat of the day here.
The Housatonic is a better smallmouth fishery (and those fish mature at a larger size if I remember correctly) but that's my experience here in the Quinebaug
Old 08-20-2013, 07:46 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

They can be great fun on light tackle, Eddie. The main visual difference between largemouth and " smallies " is that the mouth extends back beyond the eye on largemouth.
Bass fishing in this country is a multi billion dollar industry. Besides the sales of lures, rods, reels, and bass boats, there are tournaments that pay huge amounts of money. They get a lot of television coverage, and produce fishing superstars. It's the NASCAR of fishing. Personally, I'm content to be in cool water with my flyrod, enjoying the peace and quiet of the stream
Old 08-20-2013, 01:52 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Eddie.......in the summertime, try some of those Betts chartreuse top water poppers!!! Smallies are lots of fun on top!!!
Eddie O'Neill likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 08-20-2013, 04:30 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

We have both here now. The smallies have been here for decades and last summer someone dropped a bunch of large mouths into the saint john river. Last week I caught a nice 20'' smallie on a sub surface fly. That was tons of fun but I prefer the fiestiness of brookies.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover