The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default A Few Pictures From Fishing;

This is Alex,
Click the image to open in full size.

This was what was happening at the end of the line.

Here he is with the fish after hoisting it from the water for a quick shot.

And the fish, a male Pacific Silver Salmon ready to continue his journey up the river.

All of the customers on this recent trip were from France but 2 were Spey casters and it was with them that I spent most of my time. On some days I took a single hand fly fisherman along also but always the 2 hand casters.

The French were a terrific group to work with, all were catch & release fishermen and everyone was thrilled with catching the Silvers.

During a pause in the action I took the opportunity to cast a size 4 Skykomish Sunrise using my ever faithful Orvis 7'9" Far & Fine rod which has been serving me since 1979. I've caught everything from sun fish to 5 species of salmon using it. I've never cast it when King Salmon are present because I don't want to have that happen, I really like the rod. Because the silvers are likely to run pretty strong I used a CFO IV rather than my Hardy Featherweight as the reel this time around. Not that you can't get it done with the Featherweight, but the palming rim on the CFO made short work of these fish.

The net has a 18 inch long hoop and the fish was perhaps a 8.5 pound male or so. I did have a larger net for the bigger salmon but the Nomad was handy and I saw that a silver would fit I did catch some salmon using the 13' Hardy Marksman 2 rod and had great results with the Skykomish and the Freight Train as my 2 best producers for flies.

As time allows I will be posting about the 2013 season both here and on the blog I keep here on the forum. There will be much to report and I promise to get to it. There is the fall trout and grayling fishing still to come so it will be awhile until I write and post the pictures.

Ard
okbow68, imxer, fysh and 18 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Few Pictures From Fishing;

Ard: Awesome photos, Alaska is just a great place to fish! Congrats on a great trip with the Frenchmen!
Hardyreels, fredaevans and yonder like this.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Larry,

I had fun with them and they enjoyed the river very much. Today I got up and pressure washed the boat and cleaned everything up to be ready for more silver fishing on Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday. Thursday I'm not fishing and Friday we make a quick 3 day run to the cabin for some more work there.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:12 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Agreed. Totally awesome Ard, that 8.5# silver on that twig of rod is just awesome. A true angler you are. I really really hope that next summer is our year (my family that is) to get up to Alaska (and our year to fish together, me and you).
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:17 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

every time i see the pics of that old orvis rod next to a nice fat salmon, it makes me want one more and more
great pics man

casey
Hardyreels and yonder like this.

ARFE
Old 08-19-2013, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Hi John & Casey,

I'll be here John.

Casey,

I used it for pike while I was at the cabin over the weekend, that rod will cast a big Pike fly with a wire leader better than my 9' 9 weight! I keep talking about them and I keep using that one in the pictures.

When I catch the monster that eats ducks with that rod I'll post pictures of it.
fredaevans, caseywise and yonder like this.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:47 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Simply amazing!!

Beautiful water and beautiful fish. Next year, I'll make it up there and I'll look you up?
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:22 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Ard,

Well done. By any chance did any of the French know JP?

Looking forward to more !

Paul
Hardyreels likes this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 08-20-2013, 12:45 AM
Administrator

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
Ard,

Well done. By any chance did any of the French know JP?

Looking forward to more !

Paul
Hi Paul,

I did ask and none had heard of JP Frankly I was shocked and should have checked Passports to see if they were really French It seems that JP had me fooled thinking that he was famous over there

Old 08-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Hi Paul,

I did ask and none had heard of JP Frankly I was shocked and should have checked Passports to see if they were really French It seems that JP had me fooled thinking that he was famous over there
Great report Ard....glad the french customers were satisfied
Think I'm more famous in the US than in France....these guys might have known at least my name because I wrote numerous articles for popular fishing magazines in the eightiesit was 30 years ago
Hardyreels likes this.