The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 09:21 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice
Default Re: Taking 6 Days in Colorado, where too?

Canejos Canejos river full of good browns is a tail water and stocked but great fishing or go up above platoro lots brookies in the mountains
Old 08-26-2013, 02:32 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Another option would be to head south and fish the Conejos River. If your interested in that idea, check out the podcast on Ask About Fly Fishing Internet Radio. I haven't been down there but it definitely sounds interesting.'
Larry
+1

Fished the Conejos last month and did okay. What a beautiful river and country side. Fished half day with Jeremy out of Fox Creek Store and I can not say enough good about Jeremy. He got me hooked up several times that day with all fish 18+". His store is fully stocked fly shop and food store. I then fished the next day by myself and was only good enough to land two smaller fish. The drought has hurt the Conejos this summer with flows low.

Now if you are still reading this I am going to tell you where to go off the Conejos to catch a rare trout. The Rio Grande Cutthroat are in Big Lake on the Lake Fork feeder creek to the Conejos. Requires a 7 mile round trip day hike to get to them. I am 63 and did it easily and caught many of these rare trout. Jeremy can sell you a topo and direct you how to get there. Road to parking area you can traverse with the Forester.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:54 PM

schizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Another option would be to head south and fish the Conejos River. If your interested in that idea, check out the podcast on Ask About Fly Fishing Internet Radio. I haven't been down there but it definitely sounds interesting.'
Larry
I love the Conejos. I've fished it for years and until the last couple I was reluctant to share this with anyone. I've caught bigger and I've caught more but this is where I've caught the most big fish. It's the only place I've used a mouse pattern (under a full moon) and caught fish in CO.The real plus is you can usually have an amazing stretch of river to yourself or with very few other anglers. Conejos Rivers anglers shop will line you out, a bit different vibe there on my last trip but still a good shop and nice guys and reasonable cabins if that's your thing. You have a lot of river, tributary streams, headwaters, tailwaters etc. Flows and Temps are really important as always. Lots of good dispersed camping too. If you follow the road up and over the pass, great drive and lots of brookies in the stream coming down the other side which leads you into the Rio Grand (not sure how the fire effected this). If not for this trip keep it in mind you'll be glad you did

Cheers
Old 08-28-2013, 07:17 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough

I'm with stenacron on this one,the Gunnison from almont to blue mesa,all kind of hatches going on now.Stay till dark and fish streamers also.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:40 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

It looks like Buena Vista fellas and the Ark. I only have a few days now instead of 6. I'll check out ArkAnglers but if anyone has suggestions for Middle and Upper Basin let me know.