The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 10:28 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road
Default Taking 6 Days in Colorado, where too?

All,

I am taking 6 days off in September to fly fish. I live in Colorado Springs but want to try some places beyond the usual South Platte highly-technical-size 24 trico-areas reserved for expert anglers that get out 100 times per year. September should be nice with cooler weather, less crowds during the week, etc.

Criteria:

1. Let's keep the range within 300 miles max so I don't spend 8 hours getting there.
2. Would like to have a chance at using some larger flies and preferably some dry fly fishing or dry-dropper rigs. (i.e, something I can actually see)
3. I'm alone so don't want to venture too far off the beaten path. But I'll go where my Forester will take me.
4. Would like to go somewhere where an infrequent angler such as myself stands a pretty good chance at getting into some action beyond your run of the mill 7 inch brown.
5. I'm not equipped for camping and will just find a clean room or B&B nearby.
I'm not averse to getting a guide on the first day or half-day.

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:49 PM

chauncey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Taking 6 Days in Colorado, where too?

Roaring fork/Frying pan would be an absolute blast that time of year and maybe the upper end of the arkansas around leadville
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:07 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
Roaring fork/Frying pan would be an absolute blast that time of year and maybe the upper end of the arkansas around leadville
+1 for what Chauncey said. If you haven't fished it I'd go to Gore Canyon on the Colorado. Head north from Silverthorne. Driving is easy and just take a nice walk/hike up the canyon. Beautiful water and fish. On the way up and/or back you can hit the Blue.

300 miles gets you a lot of territory, including up into Wyoming. I've heard great things about the North Platte but haven't fished it. Look forward to reading the suggestions you get.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:55 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Kokanee Salmon will be running at that time. Upper Gunnison River for example (Almont/Gunnison area)... but there are others.
mcnerney likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-20-2013, 12:09 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
Ditto - stop at Taylor Creek Fly shop in Basalt if you do decide to go this route.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:26 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming. I like the idea if the Roaring Fork and Frying Pan given the proximity to towns...easy basing options.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Another option would be to head south and fish the Conejos River. If your interested in that idea, check out the podcast on Ask About Fly Fishing Internet Radio. I haven't been down there but it definitely sounds interesting.'
Larry

Old 08-21-2013, 08:25 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Drive north and take I-70. Fish the Blue near breckenridge and below Dillon res. Next, head west and fish the Eagle near vail. After that, couple days around Glenwood, fish the Colorado, Roaring fork, Frying pan, and the Crystal river (up high). Finish with the Ark and head home. I did a similar trip a few summers back and hit 9 rivers and 1 lake in about 9 days, broke lots of personal records (and a few tippets)! Little late for terrestrials in Sept., but should still be able to get away with throwing some hoppers for big fish.

Cutthroat anglers in Silverthorne has good info. Roaring fork anglers in Glenwood. Frying pan anglers in Basalt. Good shops that will help you find good water if you buy a few flies, etc.

PS, the old fashioned diner on the main strip in Glenwood is pretty good. The Butterhorn in Frisco (Breck) has the bomb breakfast before you hit the Blue. Get up to Marble along the Crystal River and make sure to stop at the BBQ place (soooo good after a day of hiking and fishing...)
mcnerney and ghocevar like this.

Last edited by tbblom; 08-21-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:13 PM

norcoflyfisher is on a distinguished road

You could also head up north to the north Platte around Walden. Great fishing, not a lot of people around.Delaney buttes is also right there if you wanna go chuck some giant streamers all night. That takes some commitment to fish at odd hours but fishing north lake at night can seriously pay off. I usually just sleep in the back of my jeep whenever I go on a multi day trip.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:56 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I would do the Blue, Roaring Fork, Frying Pan, tricos in 11 Mile Canon, and the Taylor/Gunnison area.

Randy
waterfordcreek likes this.