The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 7 Post By fishiowa
  • 2 Post By littledavid123
  • 1 Post By chauncey
  • 1 Post By littledavid123
  • 1 Post By siege
  • 2 Post By kglissmeyer1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 05:56 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about
Default Comical times on the creek Thank You You Tube

A comical time on the river last night. Trout were rising all around to small Caddis and I was having a great time. Got in a bit of a rush releasing a trout and just switched the rod to my left hand, lifted his head out of the water and slid my right hand down the line to release. Well, as soon as my hand touched the fly it popped out of his mouth and into my thumb. I ended up with a #16 hook buried up to the hook bend in my thumb between the knuckle and palm. Suffice it to say I have made smoother releases.
So, here I am standing in water up to my crotch, cigar in my mouth rod tucked under my arm, 20' of fly line trailing down the current trying to figure out how to get the hook out in a hurry because fish are still rising all around me.
1. My first thought was to push it through and cut off the barb, no go, it went in pretty much perpendicular to the skin and not enough hook left to reach the surface.
2. Next, right handed me trying to get a left handed grip on the hook bend with hemos and just yank; barb be damned. Well, the hemos were too wide to fit inside the hook bend and just kept slipping off.
3. Finally remembered the YouTube videos. Cut a piece of 3X tied a knot to make a loop, put it around the bend pushed down on the eye and it just popped out, simple as that. 15 minutes of prime fishing wasted waiting for my memory to catch up.
I had my doubts when I watched the videos but I couldn't believe how well it actually worked. I must have been quite a sight. Tonight I think I will smash down some barbs
Old 08-20-2013, 06:52 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comical times on the creek Thank You You Tube

In another life I used to own a tackle shop and it was not uncommon to have a couple of fisherman a month come in to have me remove lures embeded in their hands or arms. Always used the string and push down on the eye trick, the funny part was the lead up to doing the deed. It's amazing how many grown men turn green or hollar WAIT just before the count reaches 3. So I devised a trick, once ready I would ask them to turn their head saying it's coming out at the count of 3...LOL Just as soon as they turned their head I would pop it out, or maybe do it on the 2 count. For just the briefest moment there was a hint of anger before realizing the hook was gone and they had saved face in front of their buds by not having time to hollar stop or wait!

Dave
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:44 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough

One of the first times my wife and I went out fly fishing this happened (and yes I was the cause of it)... oh and I forgot to crimp the barb too. Needless to say we immediately went to the ER in Estes park to have them remove it. When we got in the ER the lady was like oh we see this all the time come on back and we will take it out so you can get back to fishing. Lucky for me, my wife was pretty cool about it and we went back and fished for like 5 more hours.

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:45 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Chauncey, I think you are lucky to be alive...lol

Dave
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Chauncey, congrats on having a wife who is such a good sport. Sounds like a keeper !
If she still has a sense of humor about the " incident ", maybe you could get a pair of earrings made for her out of the fly pattern you caught her with. Just be sure to tell her she is still the best catch you ever made. Uhhhh, then duck, just in case !
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:00 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough

im pretty sure my original post about incident on this forum is called "the best catch of my life" or something like that... =)
Old 08-21-2013, 07:58 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

You know...if you go barbless they fall right back out

Glad it came out easy for you though.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-21-2013, 08:18 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear you remembered the old trick of how to remove a barbed hook with a piece of tippet material. I had a similar experience last summer, I took a couple of guys from New York up on the Upper Green to show them a little bit about fishing. I had the rod strung up and set it on top of the Subaru while I was tying on a small dry fly, about that time one of the guys walks past me along side the car and snags the line with his foot and the fly goes deep into the top of my finger. Of course I hadn't pinched down the barb yet so I had to resort to the same method of hook removal.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

A long time ago I was fishing Utah's Logan River - without much luck I might add. I finally saw a fish rise and due to the brushy bank behind me I decided a roll cast would do the trick. I lifted the rod, let the line slide a bit behind me and then proceeded to make a very rookie mistake - I moved the rod to my face so I could sight down it to where I saw the rise...you guessed it, I flicked the rod forward and the line and fly followed eternal physics principles and went where directed. Except, my right nostril seemed to be in the way and stopped the entire perfect execution of a classic roll cast.

A size 16 Adams buried to the bend in my nostril. It would not come out with a tug, and I couldn't remember if I had smashed the barb. I reeled in, walked back to the car, amid a flurry of jokes from my fishing companions about hooking the biggest sucker they had ever seen, etc., etc.. In my rear-view mirror I was able to survey the situation and I grabbed the hook and gave a firm tug and it popped right out - the barb had been smashed, thank goodness!

Lesson learned, but still no fish caught that day, just a bunch of would-be comics for friends...

Kelly.