The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 02:27 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Some More Fish and Scenes From The Last Trip;

Before any of the fishermen showed up I spent a couple days hiking the river to find good crossing spots and to access the fishing. Naturally I hooked a fish that I never saw before it came unpinned Rumor has it that the char can reach 5 pounds or better there and it acted like a char. They tend to hold tight to the bottom and run long but fairly slow. Whatever it was I picked it up on a Sculpin pattern swung behind a pair of spawning king salmon. Because the kings have turned quite red in color and even in 5 foot of water you can see them well. This fish I could not see...................

What I didn't do was to pound the water to see how much I could catch. I only fished enough to determin where the trout were present because every fish I would catch probably wouldn't take a fly from anyone else for a couple days. In this business of guiding fellow fishermen it isn't about what I catch but what they catch

Anyway here are a few pictures I took, some of the fish filled the net pretty well.
Click the image to open in full size.

As far as I know the pictures are of different fish, they are all pretty healthy.

The little camera isn't much for long range zoom shits but I'm liking the underwater thing.

I remember this one, he flopped from the net after I removed the fly but I still snapped a pic.

Another underwater shot, pretty cool, no need to take them from the water.

Another...........

Then came a few salmon.

A nice bright hen, not huge but a jumper released to lay those eggs.

You can see the Skykomish Sunrise in this ones mouth, good fly that one.

Another that took the fly......

I also caught some large fish that had some color and will post them later. Below are a couple shots I really liked when I saw them.

With the big salmon net lying in the background I photographed one of natures nets in the morning dew.

This is Terry (one of the fellows I worked for as their guide) he was fishing a good run where he caught about 5 salmon the previous day. The boat is mine and we were quite alone out there.

This is the same run in color.

Just to keep you from being skunked the river has about 250,000 Pink Salmon in it at this time. The fish below is the quintessential 'Humpy'

With a little practice you learn where they like to be and you then avoid them. Otherwise you will have one every cast because they become quite aggressive as they are spawning. The male pictured was one of many I failed to see coming and he was landed. When I was about to dump him from the net it dawned on me to lay him down gently and take a picture. I didn't have a picture of a Humpy, now I do.

You gotta love this one.

That's a male Silver Salmon munching on a Skykomish Sunrise as a quick snack. There was a real hard rain that brought the river way up and made the water very murky for a couple days. The fish were seeing the flies but it took a lot more casts to hook up because of the reduced visibility.

That's all for now,

Ard
imxer, mcnerney, jpbfly and 19 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 08-21-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:25 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Some More Fish and Scenes From The Last Trip;

Thanks Ard. Your pictures of the woods always make me nostalgic for the days of roaming northern and western Maine on an old Triumph Bonneville with a backpack or a 1950 Ford with only 7 connecting rods.

I ran across a bunch of topo maps a few years ago from when they used to cost a quarter each. I'd covered them all when new (before they got creased) with clear contact paper that used to be used as shelf liner. It works much better than the acetate we used to use in the military. Just an aside for the young guys out there who backpack.

Thanks again Ard for good shots and a mental journey into a past life of hiking through unspoiled wilds.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:30 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

What an enjoyable fishing report! Beautiful pics and great fish. Thanks so much! I need to hire you sometime!!!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:51 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Great pictures!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:55 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I know you say the pinks are junk fish but i'd happily spend the day catching something like that. great pics as usual!
Hardyreels and mridenour like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-21-2013, 07:57 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
The little camera isn't much for long range zoom shits but I'm liking the underwater thing.
Not sure I've ever had "long range zoom shits." Sounds like a bad night at Taco Bell.

In all seriousness though, great pictures.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:05 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: Great trip report and awesome photos, I really liked how good you are getting with those underwater shots! Those Rainbows are just gorgeous!

Larry
Hardyreels likes this.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:16 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

awesome pics man!
wishin i were up there
next summer though....
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 08-21-2013, 10:38 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Ard,

EXC PIX, keep 'em coming.

paul
Hardyreels likes this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 08-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Always glad to hear you guys like the pictures, I'll write up a good blog post or ten after the season gets too cold for fishing. It's been a good year thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Not sure I've ever had "long range zoom shits." Sounds like a bad night at Taco Bell.

In all seriousness though, great pictures.
That's funny, really! Click the image to open in full size.

I was going to edit that but then I thought to leave it alone. of course you know that the 'O' and the 'I' are side by side on the keyboard right? I just was buzzing along and will call that an honest typo

Thanks for the heads up Nick,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;