The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 03:51 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Do you use a Lanyard?

I love mine. Been using it for roughly 20 years. It has: Hemos, which clip to my shirt to keep lanyard from swinging away and close to shirt. Nipperss. Tippet spools on a "string" across the bottom of the lanyard. Floatant (powder and liquid) each in its own holder. I can attach one or two very small, light fly boxes (foam) if necessary, but those usually go in my shirt pocket. Hemos are on a zinger so I can reach down to remove flies from fish. I also have a tiny square of Wonder Cloth for drying my flies.

Vest? Rarely. I just don't need anything but tippet, flies, floatant, nipper, and hemos. I don't carry lead or bobbers. Only wear a vest if I need to take a lunch, water, rain gear, camera/phone, and more flies than I'd need in a lifetime. Not usually. I do have a sling pack that works for those items too, which I can just throw over my shoulder and over the necklace. I mean, "lanyard."
Old 08-22-2013, 04:01 PM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold

No. Not at the present time.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I have an Orvis lanyard, minus the tippet spool holder, you can have if interested, send me a pm with your address. I tried using it, but fished mainly out of the drift boat and it was always tangling with the oars when I was rowing the boat. One time on a guided trip I lent some tippet to the guide and he forgot to return the tippet spools and holder, so I bought another one online and never used the lanyard again.

Larry
Old 08-22-2013, 04:21 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I've used vest, chest pack, hip pack, back pack—but no lanyard. But, I keep thinking I might like to try one. Maybe it's all of those nicely modeled Orvis catalogs that keep pitching them that makes me want to buy one.

That said I don't end up getting one because I figure if I want something banging around in front, I can just clip it to my dang shirt or on the sling strap. Both of my wading jackets provide areas for it.

And, maybe because I'm married, that I don't like the feeling that SOMETHING or SOMEONE just might end up strangling me....

I can hear my wife now..."Look what I got you for Christmas...a lanyard! Now, go have fun, careful of those low hanging tree branches—I mean, have fun."

;-)

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 08-22-2013, 04:31 PM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I have an Orvis lanyard, minus the tippet spool holder, you can have if interested, send me a pm with your address. I tried using it, but fished mainly out of the drift boat and it was always tangling with the oars when I was rowing the boat. One time on a guided trip I lent some tippet to the guide and he forgot to return the tippet spools and holder, so I bought another one online and never used the lanyard again.
You talking to me?
Old 08-22-2013, 06:45 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

Yes, I use a Morningstar Lanyard and a small FishPond Flintridge waistpack. I ditched the astronaut vest and love the light setup.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:43 PM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold

I made one out of camo paracord and some flat black snap swivels. Used it twice and it annoyed me so much I never wore it again.
I wear a chest pack, a place for everything, everything in it's place.
They are cheap enough to try. If you don't like it, you're not out much. If you do, and it enhances the fishing expierence, go for it.

**** Mooseknuckle ?....sounds like a great name for a beer ! ****
Old 08-22-2013, 09:42 PM

arflyer is on a distinguished road

I LOVE the lanyard system! Really quick way to have your forceps, nippers, tippet, and a nice spot to store some wet flies (stick the hooks into some sort of foam on the lanyard).

I actually made my own, and have made several for people I fish with. Its kinda fun to mess around with different systems and different uses of the good 'ole paracord!
Old 08-22-2013, 09:57 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Do you use a Lanyard?

NO!

Long time ago, brook fishing, I got one hung on a branch and then slipped down a steep slippery incline. If I didn't have a knife handy, I would have strung myself up.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:02 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I have a cheaper lanyard and have been using it for about a year now. I have my nippers, tippet, leader straightener, forceps, gink, xink, and frogg's fanny all attached to it. My main complaint is that it seems in the way especially if it is moving around too much, but not enough to distract me. I like to keep these items close at hand and my Simms pack doesn't really have a space for them on it. The new Umpqua packs seem to be more functional.

Randy