The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 01:17 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Do you use a Lanyard?

I did like siege and made one with paracord, snap swivels knotted in place, a floatant holder...I don't remember now why I even made it. Probably because I was using a waist pack at the time, but I know I only used it a coupe times and gave up. I'm glad it was only $3 worth of parts. I'd definitely suggest making something before spending $20-70 on one. I can't imagine what a $70 lanyard could be! That is silly.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:12 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

My nippers are always on a lanyard, it's ideal to have them right where you want them.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:45 AM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

I made a lanyard with a thick, soft, drawstring from a pair of sweat pants and melted the ends together. I have a nail knot tool, nippers, and a whistle on it. The nail knot tool is heavier and snug on the drawstring. The other tools slip on the drawstring. Gravity tends to keep the heavier nail knot tool hanging straight down in front and the other tools slip down to it. That just keeps the splice behind the neck and the tools up front. Sometimes I grab the little group of tools and stuff it in my shirt or waders when not in use.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:21 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
Do you use a Lanyard?

NO!

Long time ago, brook fishing, I got one hung on a branch and then slipped down a steep slippery incline. If I didn't have a knife handy, I would have strung myself up.
Yeah that's bad news. I wouldn't have one made out of material strong enough to string me up.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:22 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Commercially made I.D. lanyards are made with a breakaway section in then to avoid choking. It would be easy enough to include a few inches of lighter line in the lanyard.
I don't know anyone who has not had a broken tippet. It could be used to tie the ends together to prevent being treated like a horse thief.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:30 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

I think the ones I see on people are overkill. There's basically a flyshop attached to their neck. I would rather have things in my pockets. Am thinking about getting a Orvis slingpack.
Going light and nothing in the way seems to be most appealing to me.

Kim.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:15 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikau27 View Post
... Going light and nothing in the way seems to be most appealing to me.
I spent years and years on smaller rivers and streams with everything I needed in the two breast pockets of a BDU blouse, and I had room left over a little more.

If you know where you are going and what you are after, it's not hard to minimize. Hardest part is having the right assortment of flies... and I might need these in 14 and 16 too, and I have to have so many BWO's in 18- 22 and I have to have those in case something unlikely occurs and I need these streamers in 8 and 12 in case it rains and the water comes up quickly and... and ... and ...

I think we all need to go through the complicated phased to figure out what we really need. Learning to leave the the anchor in a gear bag in the car is probably one of the hardest lessons to learn in fly fishing.
duker likes this.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:31 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Do you use a Lanyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
I spent years and years on smaller rivers and streams with everything I needed in the two breast pockets of a BDU blouse, and I had room left over a little more.

If you know where you are going and what you are after, it's not hard to minimize. Hardest part is having the right assortment of flies... and I might need these in 14 and 16 too, and I have to have so many BWO's in 18- 22 and I have to have those in case something unlikely occurs and I need these streamers in 8 and 12 in case it rains and the water comes up quickly and... and ... and ...

I think we all need to go through the complicated phased to figure out what we really need. Learning to leave the the anchor in a gear bag in the car is probably one of the hardest lessons to learn in fly fishing.
I really like this Man, he's got it 'nailed.'
Old 08-24-2013, 09:00 PM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about

They sell paracord break aways for lanyards on eBay for little of nothing. Definitely worth a buck or two.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:40 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is what I use - a Mayfly Pouch Lanyard. It holds all of my tools as well as a couple of fly boxes. Works well for my needs.

Click the image to open in full size.

It clips to my shirt or waders at the bottom so that it does not swing out when I lean over.

Kelly.