The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 08:40 AM

wasagawader is on a distinguished road
Default Do you use a Lanyard?

I have a Orvis Safe Passage Sling pack but am finding that it is not always convenient to swing it around open it up grab needed item. So I started clipping certain items to the front but then when you have it swung around the tool ends up around the back. I like the storage it offers but think a lanyard for the must have in reach items might be the answer.

Do you use a lanyard? What do you like/dislike about it?

I see some for 30.00 and some for 70.00 are there any features that set them apart?
Old 08-22-2013, 08:54 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do you use a Lanyard?

I fished a lanyard one time and realized that it is not for me. I like to flip rocks, take pictures of fish, walk through/under brush, and it felt like it was in the way a lot. Different strokes for different folks... and I guess I'm just the vest/chestpack type.

If the price is holding you back, one trip to Michaels hobby shop will get you all you need to slap on together for about $10.
dean_mt likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Yes I do!

My favorite is a Mooseknuckle lanyard!
Old 08-22-2013, 09:09 AM

wasagawader is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
Yes I do!

My favorite is a Mooseknuckle lanyard!
That is the one I like the most as well. Just on name alone.
kwb and shotgunfly like this.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:38 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I have a cord around my neck with my nippers and a very small multitool, but that is it. I do not like having a lot of stuff hanging off of my neck. I also find it gets in the way all of the time. If I need more stuff than what fits in my wader pockets then I go for the vest.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:41 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I like a vest because fly boxes, tippet material, floatant and tools are all up front. However, when fishing from a float tube or drift boat, I don't want or require such a portable fly shop on my body...it hangs over the back of my seat or under the front bow enclosure. This is when I employ a lanyard festooned with nipper, floatant holder, 4 spools of tippet material, a hemostat and a foam patch. Mine is customized Orvis but could simply be a hank of nylon cord with a few large snap swivels separated a little by sections of plastic or neoprene tubing or beads. More than half the time it is not around my neck but just hanging around accessibly.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple of them. One stays in the truck all the time in case I forget I wear mine only in the float tube or kayak.
They're homemade from weed-wacker line, beads and snap-swivels and I don't carry a lot of stuff. Normally just nippers, forceps and a whistle
Any thing else is better off carried elsewhere
Old 08-22-2013, 10:55 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Lanyards are nice for boats or when you only need to carry 1 fly box and want to keep nippers and hemos close by... With my sling pack it's just too much... It'll spin around your neck when you swing your pack forward... Making for just more problems
wasagawader likes this.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:32 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

You need about 12 inches of heavy cord .... that's it. Forceps go on top, then cord through the hole in a big set of nail clippers (tie knot underneath), next is my Police Whistle (tie off with an overhand knot) then down to the hook file.

Finding a short hook file with a hole in the handle can take a search but they're out there. Through that hole and last knot. Forceps get clamped to your shirt front or wader straps. Whole things about 12-13 long from top to bottom.

When not in use just stick it down the front of your waders. Ignoring the bit's the whole thing will cost you five cents.

fae
Old 08-22-2013, 02:29 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a cheap one a couple years ago ($15 I think) and have sense made a couple for friends. I love it. Has a clip that holds it to my shirt when I bend to unhook all the fish I catch I use it and my shirt pockets for bass fishing and a waist pack for trout fishing.